D&D 5E Playtest: Curse of Xu'Set

Gargoyle

Adventurer
I ran a playtest for my wife and a friend yesterday. It was a lot of fun. Sadly we don't play a lot of D&D anymore because of jobs, travel, etc. so we're certainly casual players now. However, rather than 1st level characters, I had them roll up 8th level ones. Because of the small party size I also gave them 14 henchmen: a dozen commoners, a human berserker named Grum, and a human war chief named Belgrad with stats straight out of the bestiary.

My wife likes simple to play simple characters and rolled an 8th level female hill dwarf Fighter named Helga Underhill. My friend Mark rolled an 8th level male human Ranger named Zeros. Helga had the soldier background and reaper specialization, so she was a high ranking enlisted member of a mercenary company and is accustomed to fighting lots of enemies in large battles. Zeros is a guide with the favored enemy of brutes, and served as a scout in the same company of mercs. During previous adventures, I decided that both of them had a few minor magic items, and a couple of rare ones. Helga has a chainmail suit of the efreeti +1 that has the quirk of making her very confident and Zeros has a flametongue sword +1 that happens to be very loud when its command word is spoken.

The setting is a homebrew that I'm working on. It's a mashup inspired by Egyptian, Norse, and D&D mythology and themes, with a Southern kingdom resembling ancient Egypt, and a bunch of northern kingdoms that are a mashup of Norse culture and the old Birthright campaign setting.

They were given the map to the tomb of Pharoah Xu'Set, the legendary mad pharoah who died about 400 years ago. The tomb is located somewhere to the east in the Shining Desert, a rocky wasteland with very little water. Their employer is Kincaid, a legendary human explorer and archeologist whose son's expedition to Xu'Set's tomb has gone missing. They have been given the charter to explore the tomb and collect whatever riches are within in exchange for returning his son safely. Since the tomb is technically not in the same kingdom as the issuing Exploration Society, it's not exactly internationally legal, and sort of makes them privateers. There is much risk, but the potential for great reward as well.

We started off a little slow as I chose to read through the exploration rules and try them out for their journey through the desert. They had a map, and they decided to travel to the closest landmark to their destination, an oasis about three days ride to the east. They chose to travel at a moderate speed, and Zeros decided to use mapmaking to detail their map. They traveled by night to avoid the terrible heat of the day, and the first night out their henchmen spotted a hobgoblin ambush, a phalanx of unarmored desert hobgoblins with spears and shields charged down a rock strewn ravine toward them.

We liked the exploration rules. It reminded me of the Expert level D&D wilderness adventures I used to run, and the danger of getting lost, and dealing with the environment added another layer to the challenge. I don't think they understood the rules that well, but I blame myself for not understanding them and explaining it, but as we worked through it, we had fun.

Zeros cast spiky growth causing a field of obsidian to erupt in front of them, and they commanded their henchmen to prepare to receive a charge (ready an action to attack). The hobgoblins lost initiative the following round and Zeros put another spiky growth right under them. They struggled to get out of the field, becoming wounded in the process and slowly made their way through the difficult terrain to the henchmen below who cut them to ribbons, losing only one of their number. Helga managed to finish off the last one with a crossbow bolt.

We laughed at the encounter, as it was obviously an easy one, which I had intended to ease us into the game. I was impressed by how effective a larger number of low level NPCs could be when intelligently played and backed up with a little magic from higher level heroes. The ranger played more like a druid in the encounter though, but given that it was an extremely easy fight, I was ok with that.

Zeros' knowledge of the hobgoblins proved useful, as he knew this was a patrol and that many more would be coming when they didn't return. They marched through the heat of the day, and the henchmen and Zeros missed their Con saves and suffered some heat exhaustion (halved their speed, and lowered their max hp is how I chose to do it). They did narrowly avoid a much bigger hobgoblin patrol, thanks to Zeros providing some guidance (Wis and Dex checks), but they decided to rest the following evening. They fortified their camp, a rocky overhang that provided some amount of shelter and Zeros camoflaged it as much as he could.

The players knew that marching through the day was dangerous, but realized that a large hobgoblin force could be very dangerous, having seen what their own henchmen could do. So they were motivated to keep moving despite the risk. I gave the ranger some latitude on his abilities; allowing him to camouflage the camp and to use his favored enemy class ability to help with the checks to use the Sneak activity during exploration to avoid the hobgoblin forces seemed natural. This was pretty cool...the rules didn't spell out to do these things, but they didn't get in the way of what they wanted to try and it all seemed to click for us. Backgrounds and specializations made the characters more well rounded. But they didn't really have to deal with them if they didn't want to. My wife largely ignored her Soldier background and was fine with that.

They rested through the heat of the next day, but one of the mules was attacked by a roc diving out of the sun...only Helga saw its shadow in time to immediately respond. She attacked it as it dove down, saving the mule, but causing the gargantuan bird to attack her savagely. (She moved in between it and the mule, and readied an attack) Zeros healed her wounds, and the henchmen attacked it with a mass of spears, causing great damage but the roc killed one of them easily. As they were focused on the first one, a second roc joined the attack. Helga and the henchmen inflicted massive damage and finished off the first one, causing the second one to go into a frenzy attacking various people at random rather than just focusing on one, and killing a couple more commoners.

Just as they about had the roc down, it grabbed Grum the berserker and took to the sky, too quick for them to attack with bows or javelins. Grum was already wounded and enraged, and they never learned of his fate again. But we were curious and played it out anyway, as the roc only had 9 hp left and Grum had 5, it could have went either way. The roc dropped Grum into the nest, circled around and dove. Grum won initiatve, readied an action to attack, and rolled a 17, and as he was still raging then a 1. Grum died valiantly in the roc's nest, earning his place in Valhalla. Interesting how berserkers get disadvantage for raging while barbarians get advantage. Grum never hit anything, not even once.

The rocs were more challenging and Helga nearly fell from her wounds. Again the ranger was played much like a druid or cleric, standing back and healing rather than taking part in the fight. I think perhaps he regretted not having a ranged weapon at this point...rookie mistake...like I said, we don't play a lot anymore. But I will say that he was sort of pleased when he rolled the character that he wasn't forced into an archer or two weapon fighting schtick. My wife liked how simple her fighter was to play. She had lots of choices when creating the character, but when playing it, it wasn't complex and she liked that.

They mourned the death of their companions (the characters did, we all sort of giggled) and rested into the night, and finally pressed on, finding the oasis in the afternoon. It was a strange sight. The oasis was on a raised hill of sandy rock. Rocks much darker than the surrounding terrain curved upwards creating a bowl of shadow, with a small lake in the middle. As they got closer they could make out a settlement of straw huts on the east side. The oasis seemed quite out of place with the rest of the surroundings. They climbed up the hill and walked down into the bowl of the Shadow Valley of the Oasis, camped next to the water, refilling their waterskins, and resting, but not venturing into the deep shade.

After some time, a tall tanned man in traditional nomadic clothes walked out and greeted them. "I am Maniko honored guests. I too am a guest of the natives of the Shadow Oasis, would you like to meet them?"

More later...

Last edited:

Gargoyle

Adventurer
Naturally suspicious, but confident of their abilities they accompanied Maniko into the the deep shadow of the area of the huts. None of the villagers were visible outside the huts, and they entered the largest circular one. A firepit with dim embers provided the only light inside. The natives of the oasis were clothed head to toe with barely any skin on their pale hands visible. Maniko did all the talking, offering them a seat at a round bar laden with food and drink encircling the fire pit. A couple of henchmen they brought with them were given a large pallet of food and supplies to bring back to their camp on the water, and the henchmen were glad to leave the creepy natives and bring it back.

As their eyes adjusted to the dark, they realized that the eyes of the natives weren't reflecting the light of the firepit, they were glowing with a very dim red light. These natives were clearly not human like Maniko.

Conversation and dinner extended into the late afternoon, and the deep shadows outside grew even longer and deeper. The leader of the natives introduced himself, as Laslo, and seemed interested in their mission and anything else they chose to talk about. Just as the party was getting comfortable, the sudden scream of a woman in pain and terror was heard from somewhere outside. None of the natives reacted and continued talking. At this point the player characters realized they and Maniko were the only ones eating.

This scene was a lot of fun for me (and for them) as they were gradually getting more and more creeped out. There were a lot of the natives, and they didn't know what they were dealing with exactly. No initiative rolls or anything, just roleplaying. "What was that scream?" "Oh nothing to be concerned about. Tell me more about this mercenary company you left?"

Zeros walked out to investigate the source of the scream. Out of character, he knew he was committing the deadly sin of splitting up the party, but in character he did it anyway. Good roleplaying.

Helga was questioning one of the natives who gently touched her arm, asking her to come see the hut they had prepared for her. (Wis save failed, and she was charmed).

Zeros made an Intelligence check to discern where it came from, and I told him it seemed to come from one of the huts but he wasn't sure which one. One of the natives beckoned him to come back inside, so they could show him to his hut. He ignored this and guessed correctly and looked in to see one of the natives sucking blood from the arm of a tanned female human who was moaning in ecstasy. "Vampires. Why did it have to be vampires?"

These vampires weren't straight out of the bestiary. I knocked them down in level and took away most of their abilities. No gaseous form. Domination became a charm that they could use once per day on touch. Most of them had 20 hp. I kept the same bite attack, making them dangerous. And there were a lot of them, at least a hundred, far too many to fight.

Maniko covered for Zeros before the vampires realized they had been discovered. "Oh friend, you should gather your other friends from your camp at the lake and get them to come back here." Zeros saw Helga being led away and grabbed her arm and steered her back to toward the camp. "Yes, Helga come and help me retrieve so that they too can enjoy the hospitality of our kind hosts..."

Zeros smacked Helga out of her charmed state as they returned to the others. Maniko turned out to be one of the original expedition to the tomb of Xu'Set who was captured by the vampires of the oasis and kept like others as cattle for many days; he begged them to take him with him. "And the others?" "They are too far gone and there are too many vampires...I alone have resisted their magic" And he knew where the expedition was heading. They hatched a plan to escape the oasis with the guide Maniko, but they had to be quick. The sun had already slipped below the highest point of the stone teeth ringing the top of the small valley, and the shadows were deepening into night.

I glossed over it here, but there were lots of Charisma, Wisdom and Intelligence checks during this encounter as the players were trying to figure out what they were dealing with, and who to trust. Their skills didn't help him much here, and the party could have benefited greatly from someone with a more social skill set. But it was quite entertaining to see them squirm, especially when that girl screamed and none of the natives paid any attention, and the slow realization that they were dealing with something insidious. Again, I feel like the rules worked for me by not getting in the way, and because reducing the power of vampires was easy to do. Rather than punish them for splitting up the party repeatedly, I decided to just unnerve them a bit and have Maniko rescue them from a potentially bad situation. It came together quite well and set them up to be motivated to do something you don't see D&D characters do much: try to escape the bad guys.

Last edited:

Gargoyle

Adventurer
Their plan was simple. Zeros would sneak into their compound and light up one of the huts to cause a diversion, and Helga would lead them through the compound to escape the oasis on the east side toward the direction the lost expedition took.

Zeros made a great stealth check and successfully sneaked into the compound, but then failed a second check. A vampire sentry walked up to him offering his hand and a friendly greeting in an attempt to charm him, but Zeros wasn't fooled and he activated his flametongue sword and attacked, lighting him up. With the quirk of the sword being loud, I decided it was still a good distraction and vampires began emerging from huts. Helga began leading Manikos and the henchmen through the compound, but being Helga she decided on a path directly through the huts rather than around their edge as Zeros had envisioned. Dice were chucked, and the human henchmen, who had moved faster than the dwarf, passed too close to the entrance of a couple of huts and were dragged inside by ravenous vampires. (move, attack for an instant kill, move again dragging the bodies in).

Rather than run for it like I expected, the henchmen engaged the vampires. Helga joined in the melee. Both vampires and henchmen went down in a bloody fight, as well as their mounts and supply mules. Laslo appeared toward the edge of the map that was their goal and charmed the fleeing Maniko, chiding him for his disloyalty and promising punishment.

Zeros finished off the vampire sentry, set dry huts on fire, and then confronted Laslo before he could get away with Maniko. Meanwhile the henchmen had rallied and managed to kill a couple of vampires by massing their spear attacks, and Belgrad was a whirling combatant with his two swords, leading them on to help fight Laslo.

Another wave of vampires appeared on the other side of the map as Laslo attempted to flee but was cut down by opportunity attacks. Zeros, Helga, five commoners, Belgrad the human warchief, and finally a screaming Maniko, free of the dead vampire's charm, brought up the rear, running madly away from the vampires into the last beams of the late afternoon sun.

As they left the oasis, the ground beneath rumbled and sand slid down the hill, causing them to tumble. As they ran into the desert, the oasis revealed itself to be on the back of a gigantic sand turtle. The fire and noise wakened it and it must have decided to move on.

This fight was quite fun, with the ranger finally using his flametongue sword and skirmisher speciality to great effect. I was concerned when they paused to fight off the vampires, because I knew more vampires would be arriving soon, and I was worried the small map size and a typical unwillingness of player characters to flee would spell their doom. But again the commoners were able to hold their own when working together, only losing a few of their remaining number, and I think the players had a good time with it. Helga never really got to use the full potential of her reaper specialty and whirlwind attack, but I think she will have plenty of opportunities after they get inside the tomb of Xu'Set. Not sure when I'll pick this up again, but I am hoping in a couple of weeks we will do the dungeon crawl.

I like that we got all that in...creating 8th level characters, running three combat heavy encounters, some wilderness exploration, and a roleplaying scene...in about five hours. I spent about a half hour to 45 minutes preparing. Since we don't play a lot, it's important that it be simple to run.

So now they know where the tomb is and are nearly there, but they have lost about half their henchmen and all their supplies and mounts, and the only water source they've found in the desert is mobile and occupied by a village of vampires.

Last edited:

Philousk

Explorer
Nice account of your story. I liked the concept of an oasis located on the shell of a titanic turtle buried in the desert sand : the Home to a horde of vampires natives.

Gargoyle

Adventurer
Initiative every round worked fine and presented no issues, and I do know that my players probably prefer it because if they botch an initiative roll it makes them feel like they can make it up on the next round. It also lends a certain amount of unpredictability to combat; I've played initiative the D&D Next way in earlier games and it sort of leads to predictability.

However, it took me a long time to figure out how to be very good at managing rolling initiative every round; it's not hard for me now, but I remember the days when I struggled with it and forgot someone (oh you didn't get a turn...sorry...time to catch you up...) Indeed, despite having it clearly written down in my notepad I did exactly that one time yesterday. I think next game I run it I'll try just the one roll at the beginning of combat and see how they like it, because I do realize how much easier it can be.

Also, I don't really have large D&D groups anymore; two players are easy to manage rolling every round even with a load of henchmen (I had them roll for each NPC type as well). With a larger group however, I wouldn't have fared as well, and rolling every round would have sucked away more time.

I think I shall try it once every conflict next time for the sake of playtesting and to see how my players like it, but also to get used to it for when I do have a larger number of people at the table again.

Blackwarder

Adventurer
What I plan to do with large groups is simply have them roll one dice for the entire group and each of them will add his int modifier.

Warder

Gargoyle

Adventurer
Nice account of your story. I liked the concept of an oasis located on the shell of a titanic turtle buried in the desert sand : the Home to a horde of vampires natives.

My goal for this campaign world is to have some sort of high fantasy element rear its head, sometimes literally, and make the players go "whoa", "wow" or even "wtf" once every time they sit at the table. I don't want everything they see to be quantifiable in a D&D book or have stats or even a full explanation. And I don't want everything out there to be something they can defeat.

That was fun to slowly reveal more about the situation as the game went on. There isn't anything very original about a giant turtle with a civilization on its back, but just by adapting the idea to my campaign world and where they happened to be, it became a more interesting thing. And I got a good feedback from them as they escaped in the form of their widened eyes and various interjections.

Remove ads