D&D (2024) Playtest Druid and Paladin One D&D survey is live.

GreyLord

Legend
Well, that's fine. I mean I can understand the annoyance... but it's all a matter of perspective. 4E gave us 24 classes and 17 races in just 21 months... whereas we didn't get our first splatbook of player options for 5E more than THREE YEARS following the release of the Player's Handbook.

If you were bothered by 4E's release schedule that's your prerogative... but no one can say WotC didn't skimp on the players on just a short amount of time.

I suppose that depends on what you consider player options and your definition of such things.

SCAG was published in November of 2015. Prior to that I believe Elemental Evil Player's options was released in March of 2015 and PoTA was printed shortly afterwards.

PHB was published in August 2014...so that's actually something like 6-7 months if you are looking at DL options, and a little over a year for a book with player's options that's in a sort of setting book type thing.

Of course, there were also other testing and other releases that were not so official as well, so I think it may really boil down to what your definition of such things is.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Both? BOTH? I WILL HAVE TO TELL YOU THAT WE ARE DOZENS OF WARLOD FANS!!!!
I kid, but I played a Warlord in 4E when I played and enjoyed it. I don't think a Warlord fits anywhere in current D&D, as designed, as it was an artifact of grid filling Role and Power more than anything.

Bolares

Hero
I think that WotC would have called the Battle Master Subclass a Warlord if they thought it wouldn't cause an anti-4E riot.
If I recall the conversations the community had at the time, people got really really mad when someone proposed using the battle master as an warlord for some reason.
I guess that people want a 1 to 1 comparison, and I don't think that really works.
My favorite 4e class is the swordmage, and I'm content emulating it with a Eldritch Knight. It's not the same, but it gives me a lot of the same feeling.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
If I recall the conversations the community had at the time, people got really really mad when someone proposed using the battle master as an warlord for some reason.
I guess that people want a 1 to 1 comparison, and I don't think that really works.
My favorite 4e class is the swordmage, and I'm content emulating it with a Eldritch Knight. It's not the same, but it gives me a lot of the same feeling.
The Battle Master doesn't really sit in the "Leader" Role, is what stuck in people's craw a bit. But 5E doesn't have the same combat Role structure, so...

Bolares

Hero
The Battle Master doesn't really sit in the "Leader" Role, is what stuck in people's craw a bit. But 5E doesn't have the same combat Role structure, so...
I don't know if any class really sits in the leader role, even the cleric. With the way healing works in 5e I find it hard to build a character that focuses on keeping everyone alive effectively.

Remove ads