D&D (2024) Playtest Packet 6: Monk reactions?

Valetudo

Adventurer
Yes, I got bg3 on my ps5. I only have a few complaints so far. Controller ui,sometimes when I try to click on my teammate next to a enemy I accidentally heal the enemy and vice versa. I got cocky and started some naughty word with some recaps, and they started !#$@ me up.

And the revised weapon mastery immediately improved the monk by just removing flex.

Not enough, but a start.
And in the video, the monk is mentioned to get more ki back.
And the playtest actually mentions that monks get magic items.

And the revised weapon mastery immediately improved the monk by just removing flex.

Not enough, but a start.
And in the video, the monk is mentioned to get more ki back.
And the playtest actually mentions that monks get magic items.
Did it say monk items or unarmed strike items?

If the past is any precedent, we'll get items that allow the user to add their int or charisma mod to to their damage rolls or that count as armor or shields in some way, or have a strength prerequisite to use, count as martial weapons..or some other nonsense that keeps them from being a good item for a monk.

Maybe this time will be different though. Just have to remind myself of all the buffs monks have gotten so far in the playtest...

...oh....yeah...about that..

Guess I'll just have to go with naive optimism?

shadowoflameth

Adventurer
Looks like a little of column A, little of column B. The items are "for unarmed strikes..which should support the monk et al."

I will try to be optimistic, previous 5e experience makes it difficult.
My response to the Monk play test survey. 'It's so bad that if it isn't fixed, it'll effect my decision to buy the book.' Simple fix.

shadowoflameth

Adventurer
If they truly intend it to be a revision and not a whole new edition, then the simplest fixes are the best, give him a fighting style at 1st, make Unarmed strike (FINALLY) a Martial Melee Weapon and a Monk Weapon and make the three special attacks of the Way of the open Hand it's Martial Masteries. Eliminate the Ki requirement for Step of the Wind, remove the double nerf of Stunning Strike and Flurry of Blows. After that, re-write all of the sub classes with those changes in mind. It doesn't need a whole new class, it needs undoing the bad decisions that handcuff the Monk compared to other martials.

If they truly intend it to be a revision and not a whole new edition, then the simplest fixes are the best, give him a fighting style at 1st, make Unarmed strike (FINALLY) a Martial Melee Weapon and a Monk Weapon and make the three special attacks of the Way of the open Hand it's Martial Masteries. Eliminate the Ki requirement for Step of the Wind, remove the double nerf of Stunning Strike and Flurry of Blows. After that, re-write all of the sub classes with those changes in mind. It doesn't need a whole new class, it needs undoing the bad decisions that handcuff the Monk compared to other martials.
I don't agree woth every solution. But I also think, some simple fixes could make the monk work.

Remove ads