• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Playtest Report: Player's Perspective (long)

AntiStateQuixote

Enemy of the State
Memorial Day Playtest

Quick Take
We played. It was fun. It felt like D&D. It even felt a little bit like old school D&D.

Ignorance Disclaimer
I did not read any of the DM material before playing. I’m normally a DM in our group. I wanted to experience the game from the player's side of the screen with no knowledge of what the DM had or knew. We gave DM duties over to one of our regular players to see how the game goes for a new(ish) DM.

DM
Relatively inexperienced DM who has lots of play experience in 3.x and 4e, but nothing prior to 3rd edition. Has DM'd one offs here and there to give regular DMs a break, but usually plays for last 10 years or so.

Players
This is much of our normal playing group, less three players and add one.

Me: experienced gamer since early 80s playing and DMing through all editions of the game. I'm one of the two regular DMs for our group. We currently play 4e since its release. I'm DMing our current campaign.

Jeff: experienced gamer since early 80s that has played and DMed all editions of the game. He's our other regular DM. Played with our group since 2001.

Rozanne: my wife. Started playing 3rd edition in 2000 and has played 3.x or 4e pretty steadily since then. She's tried a stint as campaign DM that didn't go well. She is exclusively a player now.

Michael: my son. Started playing 3rd edition around 2002 or so and has played off and on since then through 4th edition. He's not a regular player now and has very little DM experience.

Characters
We played all of the characters. I took both clerics. Rozanne played the wizard. Michael played the rogue. Jeff played the slayer. These were pretty typical character choices for most of the players. Rozanne often plays casters and has an affinity for wizards. Michael usually plays strikers. Jeff often plays clerics or melee defenders. I usually play melee warriors (striker or defender) or warlocks. I love warlocks!

The Setup
Very straight-forward: we were sent to the Caves of Chaos to clean out the kobolds. We began the game in the chasm near the kobold cave entrance. Some successful spot checks and we see kobold guards outside. Go!

Play
Overall was pretty good. We managed to go through the entire complex with no need for an extended rest in about 3 hours of playing time. Probably would have gone a lot faster had the DM ditched the grid, but having come from 3e/4e tradition, I don't think he has a concept of gridless combat.

We fought a lot of kobolds. We wasted a burning hands spell on the rats. Wizard blew her sleep on four of the outside guards. Would have been nice to have in the Hive later, but we survived anyway. Pretty straight-foward dungeon romp for us. None of the kobolds could speak Common so taking prisoners was of no value.

We failed to detect the falling rocks trap. DM never gave us a roll, but asked for Dex check by the slayer to avoid setting it off. Once it went off, auto damage (no save) to both frontline fighters (the dwarfs). I would have run it differently, but not a killer.

The fight in the Hive was freaking scary. We were down a few hit points and the defender cleric had already used his HD in short rest. We had NOT used any healing magic yet, but the wizard was down to at-will attack spells.

Light spell cast on the defender dwarf's hammer gave bright light (disadvantage to kobolds) to offset advantage from greater numbers. That probably kept us alive. Holy Word came in VERY handy: rolled a six on both of them. Also had to use one Cure Light Wounds in this fight.

Chieftain and guards came along right after we finished the hive. No short rest, so everyone down a little bit. This fight was a bit of a slogfest to get through the 44 hp of the chief. I don't think the outcome was ever in doubt once we killed his "non-minion" guards.

After the fight, short rest for heals on fighter, wizard, and laser cleric to continue exploring. We didn't know we were finished with combat, but were willing to keep exploring for "one more fight" if we needed to in order to finish the place.

Good
Advantage/Disadvantage: I love this mechanic. I loved the kobolds having it with greater numbers and losing it due to light. I loved the rogue finding that it was useful to hide one round, attack the next round against the chief. Question – advantage cancels disadvantage (and vice versa). How should you handle multiple advantages or disadvantages? Does one advantage cancel all disadvantages and vice versa? That’s the way we played it. Might open up some interesting opportunities if “stacking” advantages could overcome disadvantages, but might also make it more complex than it’s worth.

Defender: I loved slamming my shield in front of a kobold to ruin his attack on my slayer buddy. The DM let me "react" after the normal attack roll. Probably need to tighten up the mechanics to call for the Defender disadvantage before rolling. Or not. Maybe it SHOULD be that powerful! It was very cool to see him roll a 20 and then say, "Nah, I'm going to throw my shield in front of that attack," and then watch him roll a 7 for the disadvantage roll! :)

Hit Dice: not at all overpowered, but just enough "oomph" for us to get through the dungeon. In old school D&D that exact same lair would have probably forced the PCs out to rest/recover at least once if not twice. We got through it in one go, no long rest, but were right on the edge at the end. Good work. If we had 4e type healing surges there would have never been any challenge at all.

Healing Word: heal for 1d6 and attack? I'll take that. I wish I had used Crusader's Strike just to see it in play, but I'm definitely a resource hoarder and wouldn't risk burning a potential heal for the extra damage. As it worked out, most of the kobolds were "minions" so the extra damage wouldn’t have mattered anyway.

Maybe Needs Improvement
Magic Missile: at-will is VERY powerful. Might need some adjustment? Once we figured out how weak the kobolds were it became auto kill every round. That's not terrible, but was really strong.

Radiant Lance: at-will is VERY powerful. This attack (+6 to hit!) is better than any other character's attack and the damage is STRONG at d8+4. The defender cleric had zero chance of keeping up with the healer cleric in damage.

Rogue sneak attack: requires one round to hide, next round attack. That makes him an every other round striker that does less damage than the front line fighter does every round. Pretty weak. Sure, the rogue has other tools for exploration/interaction, but this particular session was almost pure combat and the rogue was weak for the most part.

Exploration Mechanics: maybe it was the inexperienced DM, but there needs to be more clarity on when to call for a check and how/why. At the very beginning of the session the rogue and the defender cleric made good hide checks and moved up to get into ambush positions. The kobolds saw everyone else. On the rogue's turn he wanted to move and attack, but the DM made him make another check to hide to get advantage? I think he ran it wrong, but not sure. Anyway, other situations that could use clarity: getting past the pit in the entrance? Just how many times do you want us to make that check (we moved back and forth a couple of times outside of combat)?

Slayer attack bonus: maybe he was just rolling low a lot, but he sure seemed to miss more than hit. For the “best fighter in the game” he was kind of weak with his 3 points of auto damage on most attacks.

Defender cleric attack bonus: very weak. Missed WAY more than hit.

Must Fix
I'm not a fan of -20 intiative for surprise. It only mattered once, sort of on the very first combat where the rogue and tank were hidden. They could have had surprise, but all that meant was they went first, which they did anyway by attacking from hiding while the kobolds watched to see what the other party members were doing. Surprise should gain a free action or free turn.

We need some tactical options. Movement not provoking attacks sucks! The DM and the players repeatedly took advantage of holes in formations to move back and forth with impunity to land attacks on back rank characters. I didn't like that at all. Opportunity attacks, zones of control, or something along those lines is a must for any tactical battle going on. I know back in the day we hand-waved and played gridless, but it was kind of understood that melee bad guys couldn't just slip past your frontline fighters to get to the wizard unless there were obvious gaping holes. Using a grid and the rules as written right now, there's no reason they can't slip through. Not fun.

Where's the loot? We killed about 50 kobolds, cleaned out the lair, killed their pet rat, and came away with less than 100 gp worth of loot? We did search the place pretty well. In fact, I think we oversearched. Was the loot purposely kept low? Is this not something important to the playtest? It would be nice if the heroes could at least replace their healer's kit and buy an extra healing potion or two after the first full adventure. We earned 960 xp each, but a pittance in treasure.

There was supposed to be a diplomatic/playing them against each other option? Maybe our DM hand-waved it and just wanted us to fight. However, the fact that none of the kobolds spoke Common pretty much sucked the life out of any decent roleplay opportunity. Battle cries and shouted huzzahs on good attack rolls only goes so far.

MortalPlague

Adventurer
Does one advantage cancel all disadvantages and vice versa?
I think that's the intention. You either have advantage, or you don't. It doesn't matter how many sources are granting it.

Magic Missile: at-will is VERY powerful. Might need some adjustment? Once we figured out how weak the kobolds were it became auto kill every round. That's not terrible, but was really strong.
I think this is only a problem against kobolds. The goblin cave, for instance, the magic missile was a toss-up; at max damage, it drops a goblin. Anything less, and it softens them up.

If anything, Ray of Frost has caused more concern among the wizard at-wills.

Rogue sneak attack: requires one round to hide, next round attack. That makes him an every other round striker that does less damage than the front line fighter does every round. Pretty weak. Sure, the rogue has other tools for exploration/interaction, but this particular session was almost pure combat and the rogue was weak for the most part.
I think the rogue's lurker theme allows him to emerge from hiding, pop off an attack with advantage, then pop back into hiding without spending an action to hide. Particularly hiding behind people, in fact. I'm not 100% sure on this; it's one of the things I'd love to see clarified by WotC. But that's how we've been running it, and it's worked really well.

Surprise should gain a free action or free turn.
A free action or turn is simply too powerful. 4th Edition does this; allowing the PCs to act twice before the monsters get to act can really cripple a fight. A near-guarantee of going first seems like a good option to me.

We need some tactical options. Movement not provoking attacks sucks! The DM and the players repeatedly took advantage of holes in formations to move back and forth with impunity to land attacks on back rank characters. I didn't like that at all. Opportunity attacks, zones of control, or something along those lines is a must for any tactical battle going on. I know back in the day we hand-waved and played gridless, but it was kind of understood that melee bad guys couldn't just slip past your frontline fighters to get to the wizard unless there were obvious gaping holes. Using a grid and the rules as written right now, there's no reason they can't slip through. Not fun.
There are some quirks with the movement rules. I think tactical options will be handled in a tactical module, including OAs and flanking and the like. My group quite liked the lack of OAs, but I can see there being some frustration with them.

Where's the loot? We killed about 50 kobolds, cleaned out the lair, killed their pet rat, and came away with less than 100 gp worth of loot? We did search the place pretty well. In fact, I think we oversearched. Was the loot purposely kept low? Is this not something important to the playtest? It would be nice if the heroes could at least replace their healer's kit and buy an extra healing potion or two after the first full adventure. We earned 960 xp each, but a pittance in treasure.
This is the silver standard economy at work. 100 gp in 5th Edition is about the equivalent of 1000 gp in another edition. One of the design goals for 5th Edition was to make money matter for things other than magic items, and I think the price of the healer's kit is to reflect that. Also, the kobold cave in particular is one of the treasure-light places in the caves, so future forays will probably yield more.

There was supposed to be a diplomatic/playing them against each other option? Maybe our DM hand-waved it and just wanted us to fight. However, the fact that none of the kobolds spoke Common pretty much sucked the life out of any decent roleplay opportunity. Battle cries and shouted huzzahs on good attack rolls only goes so far.
I suspect your DM did hand-wave the option. The political side of things isn't meant to be 'meeting with the kobolds to hammer out an alliance', but rather 'leaving an orcish spear with a kobold head on it outside the kobold cave'. Actions, more than words.

soulcatcher78

First Post
Great report. Apparently XP is turned off again.

As mentioned above, the Kobold lair has the least amount of treasure in the whole ravine. Granted, they're Kobolds and the bigger monsters only let them take what they don't feel like carrying.

The slayer being able to auto kill during the kobold raid was kind of a downer for me (then again, they're kobolds...) but once you move onto the higher HP monsters (even the Goblins) the wizard and fighter auto kills cease to be such an obvious issue.

Glad you had a good time with the playtest, I'll be looking forward to see how it continues.

PS- Do you plan on running a couple of the sessions for this as well or just sitting back and playing?

Agamon

Adventurer
Remember back in 1e where the fighter got 1 attack per level vs creatures with less than a HD? I think this whiff-and-hit ability is a different way of simulating that, allowing the fighter to decimate hordes of small creatures without rolling a horde of dice or making the rest of the party feel useless, as well as being able to do it at L1. I can see it not being that fun though, basically auto-hitting for auto-damage every round against creatures with 3 or less hp.

AntiStateQuixote

Enemy of the State
I think that's the intention. You either have advantage, or you don't. It doesn't matter how many sources are granting it.
Yup. That's how we played it, but I'm interested to see/hear about alternatives.

I think this is only a problem against kobolds. The goblin cave, for instance, the magic missile was a toss-up; at max damage, it drops a goblin. Anything less, and it softens them up.
Until you start getting multiple missiles and it becomes even better?

If anything, Ray of Frost has caused more concern among the wizard at-wills.
I can see that against a melee only brute. Range him to death.

I think the rogue's lurker theme allows him to emerge from hiding, pop off an attack with advantage, then pop back into hiding without spending an action to hide. Particularly hiding behind people, in fact. I'm not 100% sure on this; it's one of the things I'd love to see clarified by WotC. But that's how we've been running it, and it's worked really well.
I'm pretty darn sure you have to use an action to hide, even for a rogue. Since you get one action per turn: hide/attack is a two turn play. It will probably be worth it at 2nd or 3rd level with extra damage dice, but not at 1st level unless you have difficulty hitting without advantage.

AntiStateQuixote

Enemy of the State
PS- Do you plan on running a couple of the sessions for this as well or just sitting back and playing?
We play 4e most weeks. Took a week off this week for missing players so did the playtest. I hope to do more, but not sure how/when. Most of us have limited time to play each week and our current game is going GOOD so don't want to mess with the mojo there.

EDIT: Doh! How about I answer your question . . . I don't know when, but yes. I definitely WILL run some sessions, but I want to give anyone and everyone else chances that wants it. I expect I'll end up DMing some between now and . . . sometime? :)

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
Thanks!

Also, they have confirmed that hidding takes an action. Wonder if the rogue should start at 2d6 and get the d6 every other level for sneak attack?

Alukane

First Post
The rogue's lurker theme allows him to emerge from hiding and pop off an attack with advantage. Stop. Without it, emerging from hiding you would lose the advantage.

KesselZero

First Post
We failed to detect the falling rocks trap. DM never gave us a roll, but asked for Dex check by the slayer to avoid setting it off.

Were you searching for traps at the time? There are no passive skills so the burden is on the players to be actively searching.

Light spell cast on the defender dwarf's hammer gave bright light (disadvantage to kobolds) to offset advantage from greater numbers.

This is BRILLIANT and I love it.

Question – advantage cancels disadvantage (and vice versa). How should you handle multiple advantages or disadvantages? Does one advantage cancel all disadvantages and vice versa? That’s the way we played it. Might open up some interesting opportunities if “stacking” advantages could overcome disadvantages, but might also make it more complex than it’s worth.

There was a thread about this a little while ago. Back then I said I would rule that you can stack A&D but now I think I take it back. The RAW are a bit unclear but I think the intention is that since you can only have each once, they will cancel even if you have more advantages than disadvantages or vice versa.

I'm torn on this issue. I've argued elsewhere that the 5e rogue is not supposed to be a consistent high-damage-dealer a la 4e. Rather I think this is a semi-return to pre-3e rogues who got high damage but only in rare situations, often based on the DM's judgment. The rogue definitely shouldn't be able to match the fighter hit for hit.

At the very beginning of the session the rogue and the defender cleric made good hide checks and moved up to get into ambush positions. The kobolds saw everyone else. On the rogue's turn he wanted to move and attack, but the DM made him make another check to hide to get advantage? I think he ran it wrong, but not sure.
The rules say that you make one Stealth check then use that number until you are spotted or leave stealth mode. So I would agree that the DM was mistaken to make the rogue roll a new Stealth check in this case.

I'm not a fan of -20 intiative for surprise. It only mattered once, sort of on the very first combat where the rogue and tank were hidden. They could have had surprise, but all that meant was they went first, which they did anyway by attacking from hiding while the kobolds watched to see what the other party members were doing.

This is tricky because the kobolds weren't really surprised-- they saw three adventurers approaching them. They were tensed up and ready for a fight. So I don't think the -20 modifier would apply to them. If they just charged the three PCs they saw, there would be no surprise, though the hidden PCs would get advantage for attacking from hiding. If the kobolds were waiting for the party to actually start the fight, though, then that would give the hidden PCs a chance to get the jump on them. So I would have given the hidden PCs a free action each (and advantage on attacks), technically before the fight started, then had everyone roll initiative normally to start the fight proper. Although the kobolds didn't expect the two hidden PCs to hit them, they were ready for a fight and would just be saying "Okay, the fight's starting now," not "WHAT?! Where did this fight come from?!" I suppose you could also model this by rolling Init and having everybody but the two hidden PCs take the surprise penalty, but the rest of the PCs certainly shouldn't be surprised by their own companions. So I would say the surprise rules don't actually apply here.

However, the fact that none of the kobolds spoke Common pretty much sucked the life out of any decent roleplay opportunity. Battle cries and shouted huzzahs on good attack rolls only goes so far.

Tell your wife to prepare Comprehend Languages next time. ;)

AntiStateQuixote

Enemy of the State
Were you searching for traps at the time? There are no passive skills so the burden is on the players to be actively searching.
We were searching. In fact, I was doing the ol' "10 foot pole prodding the floor" search. He decided that since the trigger was a protrusion from the wall we didn't detect it and just had to avoid. Again, no big deal, but I would have done it differently.

Tell your wife to prepare Comprehend Languages next time. ;)
She had it memorized, but it doesn't help THEM understand her. Or does it now? :)

Remove ads