Please Help: I need a good sourcebook or two on fantasy dwarves Tolkien style

It's not a gaming book, but I'd recommend Walsh & Wenzel's Kingdom of the Dwarfs. Filled with all sorts of cultural and historical descriptions, and some great art. The premise of it is that present day (ish, I think the book was published in 1980) archaeologists discover what turns out to be the ruins of a dwarven kingdom during a dig. From there, it tells the rise and fall of the kingdom and its people.

twofalls

DM Beadle
First thank you for all the responses. To answer a few questions, this is for 5e D&D and what I'm looking for is more fluff than crunch. In fact I care little at all for the later. I'm going to be creating a Dwarven culture for the party, and need ideas for that. I will check out some of these source books.

Voadam

Legend
Burok Torn from the Scarred Lands setting is another good one I enjoyed. It is for the Scarred Lands setting and has dwarves with a super strong warrior and rune magic tradition appropriate for a setting with D&D magic. If you want dwarven wizards then I'd look here first.

I don't have their sourcebook on the LE not-Asmodeus/not-Bane worshipping Charduni dwarves The Faithful and the Forsaken so I can't speak as to its quality.

twofalls

DM Beadle
Voadam, thank you for reminding me of this, I own all the Scarred Lands material. That society was Lawful Evil if I recall correctly, and very atypical of most dwarven fantasy settings. I will take a look at it again.

Voadam

Legend
Voadam, thank you for reminding me of this, I own all the Scarred Lands material. That society was Lawful Evil if I recall correctly, and very atypical of most dwarven fantasy settings. I will take a look at it again.

I liked them enough as a concept to throw their fallen cross-continent empire into my Golarion/Ptolus/Other homebrew setting's history to be part of the past when dwarves and elves ruled most everything.

twofalls

DM Beadle
It's not a gaming book, but I'd recommend Walsh & Wenzel's Kingdom of the Dwarfs. Filled with all sorts of cultural and historical descriptions, and some great art. The premise of it is that present day (ish, I think the book was published in 1980) archaeologists discover what turns out to be the ruins of a dwarven kingdom during a dig. From there, it tells the rise and fall of the kingdom and its people.

Purchased a used copy. Thanks.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases