Pledge of Tyranny (updated November 13)

genshou

First Post
Lela said:
Careful there gen, I'm betting half of those are the two of us. Still, though, congrats!

Are you cutting and pasting some of Evendur's dialog directly from your e-mails? I swear I can taste Mike's style in his voice.
Sorry, Lela. As stated in my first post and the subsequent one explaining who Evendur is, I have pointed out that this is all backstory so far. Mike's PC is actually Mikhael Rahl, paladin/fighter of Helm. The official start of the campaign is still a few months away in-game.

Harumph.

Thought I'd let you know that I'm still here! (still sulking about Bulette-less SH, but hey - I'm not sure why I'm harking on about this, but I've come this far, so why stop? :heh: )

I liked the combat description and magic was pretty neat - don't worry about switching styles this early in the SH (though don't do what I did ages ago and do a full U-turn after about 6 months :( . that's why I had to start all over again).

Anyway. Keep the good stuff coming. You've already got me hooked :) .

Spider J, your very own Stone Giant Half-fiendish Blackguard Were-Bulette at your service (CR 35).

genshou

First Post
Lela said:
Careful there gen, I'm betting half of those are the two of us. Still, though, congrats!
Actually, I'd only account 20 of those to myself. That's only 10%. I'm not sure how often you've been accessing it, but...

genshou

First Post
I suggest you dispel your detect plot hook supernatural and spell-like abilities while you read this post. Believe me, you’ll do fine without them.

After a greatly needed bath, Evendur looked and felt like a million silver pieces. Gone was not only the hay, but also the tension that had begun ever since the fight broke out. When he came back down the stairs, he noticed that tension had not left those in the common room. The proper authorities had removed the two priests and the wenches had rearranged the tables moved in the scuffle, but the atmosphere remained ruined. I suppose even those two would have a difficult time singing a ballad after that kind of event, he thought solemnly. Not that this crowd isn’t in need of a bit of cheering up. He could see the two bards sitting at a central table, gazing sullenly into their wine glasses. It didn’t appear they’d drunk any of it, but perhaps it was a refill after they quaffed a previous round. He strode right over to their table and pulled out a seat. “Something the matter?” It wasn’t so much a question borne of concern as it was of inquisition.

Lander raised his glass to Evendur as he sat. “Welcome back. No, nothing’s really the matter, just the mood after the guards took those two away. It seems this isn’t the first problem of this sort with local clergymen of Iyachtu Xvim. The fact that the city’s even been having problems with such a religion at all is a bad sign.” He shrugged nonchalantly. “Anyway, there’s another matter I’ve been wanting to discuss with you.” He looked Evendur straight in the eye. “The way you fought with that staff belies skill beyond that of an ordinary man. Though your current situation doesn’t exactly exude it, you obviously have some professional training toward an adventuring potential. What brought you to employment in a place such as this?”

Evendur leaned back and considered his answer for a few moments before responding, his eyes murky as he stared beyond the ceiling. “That is a story for another time,” he whispered, lapsing into the elven tongue. He was hardly surprised to find the other two at his table understood him. “For now, let us suffice to say that a month ago, I awoke in an alleyway near here with only tattered rags and this amulet, and no memory of how I ended up that way.” He pulled the amulet out from his pocket and placed it in the center of the table. “I don’t remember where or when I acquired this, or what its meaning is. I was actually hoping that you could attempt to shed some light on the mystery...?”

Lander picked up the copper disc and stared intently at the symbol on it. “I think I’ve seen this symbol somewhere in the city. Some little corner, shop, somewhere... Hmm, yes... but as to the item itself, it could be no more than a simple cheap trinket, or it could be a magic item. As you likely know, bards such as ourselves are capable of finding out which is the truth.” He turned the amulet over in his palm. “Do you have the energy to assist me?” he asked the younger and less experienced bard next to him.

Shirl nodded. “Easily.” She did not even need to focus within herself, as she knew she was far from having expended all her available spellcasting energy for the day. Placing her hand on Lander’s shoulder, she quietly asked, “You ready?”

Lander combined a nod with a simple “Mmm...” to indicate he was indeed ready, and the identification of the amulet began without further ado. Lander–with Shirl’s assistance–poured energy into the drawn-out and complicated spell necessary to discern the true nature of the item’s power. Their eyes closed and their faces locked in visages of concentration, it was apparent to all in the room that magic was being used, due both to their expressions and the scarcely discernable power in the air. After a minute had passed, the palpable feeling of unnatural forces faded, and the casters’ eyes opened. “Mmm... definitely magic,” Lander commented after a brief moment of silence. “The aura is unlike anything I have ever seen. I can’t for the life of me identify it as any particular sort of magic at all.” He tapped his fingers on the table, an action which seemed to annoy Evendur a bit. “Whatever this amulet of yours is, it’s quite beyond the abilities of identification to discover.”

Evendur chuckled. “What do you know? An amulet I have no memory of acquiring, and it has the most bizarre aura on it that even an accomplished bard can’t fathom. I’d comment on how much this reminds me of a bard’s tale if I wasn’t so frightened that I’ll end up being the subject of such a tale as a result. As for your earlier question about why I am working as a bouncer here, it is related to that amulet.” He snatched the disc back from Lander, obviously not trusting it in someone else’s hands any longer. “As I explained but a moment ago, I awoke in an alleyway near here with nothing but rags and this amulet. A young orphan named Mishli is the one who discovered me and brought food and water to me in my weakened state. The two of us formed a survival pact of sorts, and after a few days of pickpocketing for spare change, my amulet began glowing. I don’t know exactly how to explain it, but it acted as a sort of ‘compass’ that led me to this very inn. It seems right before I arrived a bouncer met an unfortunate end, thus creating an opening for employment. My skill with the staff impressed the innkeeper, and thus I was able to find a job for myself and Mishli.” He paused for a moment before continuing. ”After that, it returned to being an ordinary amulet once more. I’ve worked here for a month before the two of you arrived, and this morning...” He looked directly at Shirl. ”Well, it led me straight to you.” He extended his arm across the table, holding the amulet gem-side up in his palm. ”Touch it, and you’ll see what I mean.”

After a brief moment of hesitation, Shirl did as asked and placed her hand atop his. All three of them could see the gem begin to glow brightly beneath their hands, and the two in direct contact with it could feel faint vibrations from within the metal. Shirl pulled her hand back in surprise, and the effect ended. ”I... I knew it from the moment I kissed your hand and the amulet began to react this way. It is my destiny to travel with you...”

Last edited:

OaxacanWarrior

First Post
I just wanted to drop a quick note that I am here reading as well. I have enjoyed the SH so far and I look forward to seeing where this will all go. I am impressed that the backstory for your campaign begins months before the start of gaming with the PC. Keep up the great work!

genshou

First Post
OaxacanWarrior said:
I just wanted to drop a quick note that I am here reading as well. I have enjoyed the SH so far and I look forward to seeing where this will all go. I am impressed that the backstory for your campaign begins months before the start of gaming with the PC. Keep up the great work!
Ah, a fellow Utahn! I'm afraid I've abandoned my roots to live amongst the potatoes (actually, there are more wheat fields here in Meridian than potatoes, because the climate isn't right for potato growth). Still, good to see someone from the native state here on EN World. Oh, and thanks for supporting my desire to write this in the first place–I couldn't motivate myself (read: kick self in the seat of the pants) to write all of this without having someone else compliment and/or nag for updates :D:D

Genshou, let me add my praise, for a very fine start to this story - I'll be checking in regularly in the hope of more.

One slight quibble, is that I found the coloured text in the last story post very difficult to read - maybe it's just my less than perfect colour vision, but if you're going to go for coloured text I'd appreciate a much lighter shade that would stand out against the black background better.

One question too: what's the magic system you're using?

genshou

First Post
HalfOrc HalfBiscuit said:
Genshou, let me add my praise, for a very fine start to this story - I'll be checking in regularly in the hope of more.

One slight quibble, is that I found the coloured text in the last story post very difficult to read - maybe it's just my less than perfect colour vision, but if you're going to go for coloured text I'd appreciate a much lighter shade that would stand out against the black background better.

One question too: what's the magic system you're using?
I suppose your contrast settings must be lower than mine–and perhaps brightness, as well. I'll try for a lighter shade (such as lavender).

I am using Elements of Magic (Revised) from our very own RangerWickett of E.N. Publishing. I'd highly recommend it for everyone who's enjoying reading this :)

genshou said:
I suppose your contrast settings must be lower than mine–and perhaps brightness, as well. I'll try for a lighter shade (such as lavender).

Ah yes, apologies - looks like this crappy monitor I have at work needs to have its brightness set at absolute max. Should have thought to check before. :eek:

I am using Elements of Magic (Revised) from our very own RangerWickett of E.N. Publishing. I'd highly recommend it for everyone who's enjoying reading this :)

Interesting. Thanks.

Remove ads