• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Plot with Blood Trolls

gordonknox

First Post
After reading WOTC’s freebie “Black Rain” written by Monte Cook, I became intrigued with Blood Trolls. Basically a Blood Troll is an improved version of the basic beast, generally believed achieved through propagation with Devils. This propagation created a red-skinned version that usually adopts a PC class, usually fighter. In summary, they get real tough.

I have been thinking about a campaign idea employing blood trolls as henchman for the bad guys. That’s about where I am on it…

One idea that I would like to play out is gradually letting the party realize who is the villain and meet one, just one, of his minions at around fifth level. This scene should strike fear into the party for a long time.

So,

What type of campaign would suit this very general idea?
What type of evil villain(s) would be adequate?
Anything else?

gk

Kyramus

First Post
The slow corruption of government and churches.

The main villian that won't show face for a long time will probably be a Baatezu with lots of underlings, including the blood trolls.

Kyramus

First Post
Legion of Hell- Book of Fiends 1
From Green Ronin Press
By Chris Pramas

Good stuff in there, add in the Baatezu in Mm and MM2 and a little bit of the Manual of the planes. Youc an have a whoile bunch of ideas.

Then if you add in Armies of the Abyss- Book of Fiends 2, then you get the blood war.

GladiusNP

First Post
Another tack.

Just a suggestion, but what about an evil wizard (or cleric) who has taken the blackguard class? In the DMG it refers to these as 'diabolists.' This also lets you explain the 'cross-breeding' of trolls with Fiends (ie. the Diabolists' foul sorcery).

He could have a powerful fiendish servant/familiar, a devil or demon cohort, apprentice wizard followers, and various cultists who he works with/leads. The Cleric could be cool, due to the melee abilities, and the fact that he/she worships a god of the abyss/demon lord. This lets you have a good span of minions to challenge the PC's and a variety of abilities in the BBEG.

Kiaphas

First Post
The troll that keeps coming back.

You could have the PC's defeat a normal troll over a nasty pool of blood and guts. Have the troll fall in. The PC think it has been destroyed but it actually magically transforms into a Blood Troll due to the fiendish blood in the pool. When they least expect it have the new troll ambush them. Make the battle messy. Let the PC's cut the troll into multiple pieces. Each of these pieces (once the PC's are gone) Grows into a full Blood Troll. An evil entity of some sort (I like the blackgaurd idea) takes notice of the hearty, easy to duplicate beings and magically enslaves/binds them to him as there minions. Now the PC's have a tough enemy the are responsiblr for creating. The havoc the main baddie causes was facilitated by the PC's. Sounds like they'll have to stop them.

or not.

Derulbaskul

Adventurer
I have also been toying with the concept of blood trolls, thanks in part to Monte: firstly, the mention in Black Rain and, secondly, the Blood Spikes spell in BoEM (1 or 2; can't remember).

Anyway, I'm thinking of using the Bloodstained template from the WotC website plus the spell-like ability to activate a blood spikes effect one or more times per day. Perhaps I will also slap the fiendish template on as well.

I have also just used a major NPC called the Blood Troll, who was the spawn of the glabrezu who was the former master of the Gate of Iron Fangs in the Forest of Amtar (IMC, an ancient Creator Race fortress). This Blood Troll was a 25-point buy half-fiend troll Wiz9 and much tougher than the CR14 would indicate. The name came from her red skin colour.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Hey where do I find Black Rain and this info on Blood trolls?

IMC the Twin 'gods' of Disease and Madness use the stats of Half-Fiend Troll Scorcerers with a few extra abilities (ie powers to spread Disease and Insanity). I wonder how they compare...

(I ways going to update them using the Bloodstained and Plaguebearers templates from WOTC anyway...)

ps IMC all Trolls are fiendish Outsiders anyway...

Remove ads