POD Services

RoguePlayingGames

First Post
I've used Ka-Blam (http://www.ka-blam.com ) for POD for collected volumes of my previously published comic book work and the quality has been top-notch. Even with a batch of books that came out less than par they were quick to correct the matter and send all-new copies. Now they are more comic book oriented, but they should work for any printed book needs.

I'll be sure to check out Avalon though as soon as I hit the "submit reply" button below.

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
The advantage of Lulu is that you (the publisher) need never hold the physical book in your hands-- no shipping or warehousing or any of that hassle.

That being said, if you're going to print an actual short run of physical books (needing stock for a game convention booth, for example), Avalon's prices look competitive.

Bacris

First Post
I hate to blast any company in public, but do not use Avalon Innovations.

I have been trying for the last four months to get the remaining copies of my printed book - that I paid for back in November, mind you - so I could start using them for promotional purposes, so that the Dreamscarred Press site could sell books directly, and just to finish out the order.

I've contacted their BBB to try to get this resolved, I've been incredibly patient about it, but they're not responding to email, phone messages, or postal mail.

So, unless you want to get burned for your order and lose out on some money, don't use Avalon. Go with someone more reliable, even if it's at a slightly higher rate.

Thulcondar

First Post
AvalonTeam said:
We've actually spun the miniature production side of the business off into it's own company called Fluffy Bits (fluffybits.com). Our industrial designer, Dave Hartman, is heading up that portion of the business. We're still all one business, but it was different enough that we thought it best for it to have it's own identity. We have started production of some of our own cast and laser cut pieces, focusing more on architectural bits for game (thus the Fluffy Buts name). For any question you may have, please feel free to contact Dave at dave@fluffybits.com

Thanks!

I dunno... a company that hasn't updated its website in 6 months or more, especially with something as major as having spun off a product line... I'd be cautious.

Joe

HeavenShallBurn

First Post
I have to recommend Lulu as well. I've used them several times for small runs of fiction. And as yet I haven't gotten a single bad copy from them. Covers are universally crisp and free of defect, cropping and margins good, no smudging or other ink issues. It may cost a bit more but you get what you pay for.

SteveC

Doing the best imitation of myself
Let me echo the Lulu experience. I use Lulu for non gaming publishing, and have found them great to work with and extremely easy to use. As someone still learning in the publishing business (and in my case it is publishing for a non-profit that does not have publishing as it primary function) I found them great to work with and informative.

--Steve

Remove ads