Political ads running on site

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Right now I have vintage cars (?!?), the Natural History Museum (hmm.. I watched a nature doc on TV earlier... weird), and a Disney+ 'inside scoop' show about Coleen Rooney. 🤷

Would be nice to see some dice or something!

Vexorg

Explorer
It is so hard to tell what is going to cause that sort of thing. I like D&D (obvs) and metal music (not exclusively) and video games and working out. Every once in a while after I follow my feed to an unknown to me content creator, I am suddenly getting ads for tactical hoodies, survivalist tools and anti-trans documentaries. It is infuriating.
I want to know what a tactical hoodie is.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
This is usually a good time to remind people of the following-

If services on the internet are free, then you are the product. There are numerous ways to make it so that you maintain a little more (or a lot more) privacy- using a different browser that doesn't allow tracking. Not using google for searches. Not using facebook. Using a VPN. And so on.

It's truly unfortunate that we've gotten to the point where so much of the default settings of basic services allow for our personal information to be out there and monetized, but you can try and minimize it. In America (at least) you can't fully protect yourself- data services can (and will) pay to get your information from other public sources, and facebook can (and will) create "shadow profile" for you based on the information it collects even if you're not a user (collecting the information from other sources, including what people on facebook say about you or photos that they post that have you in it). But you can try and minimize the amount of information that they have about you.

Remove ads