[Poll] Rise From Your Grave

How are resurrections in your game?

• The party had to pay an NPC for resurrections.

Votes: 80 41.7%
  • The party got to resurrect fallen members once they could cast the spell

Votes: 52 27.1%
  • I've never seen a resurrection in play, even though I allow them.

Votes: 41 21.4%
  • I don't allow resurrections in play.

Votes: 19 9.9%

Agent Oracle

First Post
Okay folks, it's bull time, resurrections, and play experience. So many people kvetch about "disrupting the narrative flow" and "in the literature" that it makes me vaguely ill. I just want to know. Have you seen one? Did it really break the game?

Personally, I've never seen one in play, ever.

Last edited:

Agent Oracle

First Post
zibeck said:
If the party knows somebody who can cast the spell, I just have them pay for the material components.

no, see, this isn't "Do you allow it?" it's, "Has it ever happened?"

I guess it's happened in your campaign though.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
The poll should probably be multiple choice; I've had PCs raised by NPCs before, but now they cast their own spells.

I use world-oriented consequences to make resurrections less common. It seems to work well.

Ghendar

First Post
Piratecat said:
The poll should probably be multiple choice; I've had PCs raised by NPCs before, but now they cast their own spells.

Exactly. The poll should reflect this option. I think you'll find that it's quite common in most campaigns that allow res.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Your poll is missing a few options, although "pay for it" could be stretched to accomodate what happened in my campaign, if indentured servitude counts as paying for it.

Rawwedge

First Post
I've seen it used in a long running campaign on more than one occassion. It was well integrated into the story and overall campaign on at least one occassion. It was a contrived DM patch for an unexpected/undesirable death on at least one other occassion.

Unfortunately, a perfectly reasonable game mechanic can become a crutch for a DM with a penchant for rule imbalances that lead to overkill.

My group is currently in a struggle to disentangle game imbalances that have become unmanagable in higher level play. Character death and resurrection is starting to become an expected norm. Not fun.

When the problem is raised we get: "That's just the way the game is!" I don't think so...

JustKim

First Post
I don't recall it happening, even though PCs have had access to raising. I think players generally prefer a death to be meaningful and lasting, though it could also just be an unwillingness to lose a level.

Remove ads