• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Populating Taverns and Parties...

DM_Matt

First Post
Ok, DMs, what are your tactics for populating the taverns and parties that the PCs walk into. I usually find it hard to make a full-out description of many more patrons than those who i intend the PCs to talk to, and I think that that hurts verisimilitude. I think it makes it too obvious....So...how do YOU do it?

Matafuego

Explorer
Well my PC's usually go to the same tavern so I just switch a little the NPC's they will meet there. When they are travelling however I must make new taverns to make things different, sometimes it's really awful and I tend to avoid details and sometimes when I'm really inspired we have great taverns in which the PC's hang for quite a time...

spinjammer

Explorer
A nice idea is to create several taverns in advance. I always have
four or five generic taverns that are ready for use. Whenever the party wants to go one, I can pull out one and use the stuff I created earlier. It is a bit of work, but it prevents situations like:
"There are three men with axes at the round table." "Hey, five minutes ago you said there were four with swords.".

Spinjammer

Remove ads