Post-Apocalyptic 'Mad-Max', which game to use?

Wulfang

First Post
I'm looking to run a Post-Apocalyptic campaign in a 'Mad-Max' themed setting.

Can you please sell/recommend me which game-system to use.

Lawngnome4hire

First Post
There are a lot of systems that can handle this type of game and they all have different advantages. So it depends on what kind of game do you want to run. Mini's or narrative combat, heavy combat or story focussed, simple rules or lots of crunch?

Wulfang

First Post
Something that is aimed squarely at that sort of setting. I'd like to avoid the 'generic' RPGs like d20, Savage Worlds, GURPS etc.

For instance, Modiphius' Mutant Year Zero is a PA game aimed squarely at that sort of thing.

Just wondering if there is a hidden gem out there that I missed.

Meliath1742

First Post
Sorry...with Fast, Furious, Fun as its motto, I think Savage Worlds is perfect for a Mad Max style of game. Its Chase mechanics would flow nicely with running battle scenes from the movies.

Grakarg

Explorer
I also second Savage Worlds with its chase mechanic. Its fast and easy to use.
I"m sure there are some post apocolyptic savage hacks out there somewhere you can strip for ideas.

For a crunchier system, I have a soft spot for d20 Modern, there was a post-apocolypse rules supplement that I bet you could find for cheap.

I've two suggestions:

If you want to be fighting for survival in a post-apocalyptic universe, Apocalypse World is an amazing game (although Vincent Baker's writing style is an acquired taste). With the option to be almost anything in such a world, and world building is part of character creation. Seriously, one of the best games of the past five years. As a system it's simultaneously fast playing and evocative, and is one of the very few games where you can have one player as the settlement leader and another as a medic and the two work together.

If you want instead of playing in a post-apocalyptic universe to go full on Mad Max: Fury Road with the rolling combat and working out just how many ways you can blow up vehicles, and the exposition in the background, Feng Shui 2 is a great fast, fun combat game with a post-apocalyptic future juncture (including two groups of warring uplifted chimpanzees). It's a great action-scene game and a worthy update of what in the 90s was one of the best cinematic games around.

Lawngnome4hire

First Post
Savage Worlds would be my top pick, especially if you want to simulate the cinematic action of Fury Road. Apocalypse World, and Fate Core would both be great choices for a more narrative style game. If you want something with more D&D like you could use Gamma World. And while more super hero oriented Mutants and Masterminds could do a pretty good job without much work.

khaleb7

Villager
Atomic Highway is both free and excellent at emulating Mad Max.
Savage Worlds, particularly with Hell on Earth would also be fantastic.
Mutant Year Zero, while a fabulous game, is a much grimmer take on the apocalypse.

Remove ads