Post-Apocalyptic 'Mad-Max', which game to use?

nomotog

Explorer
You could try fallout. It's free. Though I think you could do well getting any good set of car rules as the other aspects of the setting could easily be slipped in any RPG. (It's car combat that people seem to have a hard time doing.

Elvish Lore

Explorer
Fury Road didn't seem at all pulpy so I would avoid something like Fate or Feng Shui 2.

If you're looking for a game that models Fury Road's fiction and not real-world physics, I will recommend Apocalypse World.

Their playbooks (character classes) fit almost exactly the characters we see in Fury Road. And the game does a great, great job of pushing hard choices, the same ones that we see play out in Fury Road.

There's a tremendous amount of flavor and tone in AW, baked right into the game mechanics, I can't recommend it highly enough if you're aiming for a small campaign or one-shot.

If you're looking for very long term play (more than 8-10 sessions), I'm not sure I'd recommend it. There's no increasing mechanical complexity (gaining bigger and badder powers) and there's no zero-hero arc and while characters become more capable; it feels like you can just as easily die like a dog in session 10 then you could have in session 1.

Last edited:

Yes, Apocalypse World acknowledges that characters sometimes have sex. And that sex has consequences. And adds some trivially removable rules for the consequences. If the concept of characters having sex or the idea that there might be consequences to intimacy is too much for you to even contemplate in a rulebook then avoid Apocalypse World. Vincent baker doesn't hold back in his writing.

Lawngnome4hire

First Post
Not to derail, but does anyone know where I can find a print copy of Apocalypse World? There's a price listed on their website but no link to where you can purchase it.

Not to derail, but does anyone know where I can find a print copy of Apocalypse World? There's a price listed on their website but no link to where you can purchase it.

I think they've run out -and Vincent's working on a second edition. Which means that only the sort of FLGS that stock indy-games will have a copy these days.

nomotog

Explorer
Now that everyone has mentioned it and I looked it up. I rather like the idea of Apocalypse World. Not sure it can be done, but I like the idea.

Prickly

First Post
If you don't want to use generic savage worlds Hell on Earth Reloaded is a post apocalyptic campaign setting that uses the savage worlds rules.

it also has magic and undead cyborgs.

Lawngnome4hire

First Post
Savage Worlds also has Broken Earth, The Day After Ragnorak, and some other post apoc settings available. There's also a fan made Gamma World conversion.

Gillywonka

First Post
I like Darwin's World, it's fleshed out well and many supplements. I've heard several folks like Exodus and it looks pretty cool. My favorite though, setting wise, is The Morrow Project. They just released a 4th edition. The earlier editions had many supplements which you can use.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases