Post Links Broken

Cleon

Legend
Just noticed a problem with the upgrade.

While we can still link to posts using [POST]name[/POST] - for example, [POST=7785890]No XP/Laughs[/POST] links to No XP/Laughs? - now some of the links in my old posts are broken.

For example:

The link goes to https://www.enworld.org/index.php?posts/7591319/ (although it can be fixed by deleting the "new" and opening "enworld.org/index.php?posts/7591319/"

More worryingly, one of my most important posts has lost ALL its post links, which have become "https://www.enworld.org/index.php?POSTs":

I hope I'm not going to have to fix them by hand - there's literally hundreds of them!

I'll be surprised if that gets fixed at all. vBulletin had a post URL for handling post requests. Xenforo seems to only do posts through #anchors on the thread URL. So the old post would just rewrite a URL of post?p=nnnnn and the post.php would look up the thread for the post and all that other jazz. Look at the link you posts to No XP/Laughs. There are two numbers inside, the thread number and the post number. There's no easy way create an equivalent unless Xenforo adds a posts URL that doesn't need the thread id.

CapnZapp

Legend
Could it simply be that the software was installed when the server used "new" in the web address, and some setting just needs to change to "www"?

No. The post URL in Xenforo is ".../thread/name_of_thread.123456/post-789789". The [post] tag only has the 789789 in it. You would need code to turn that into the 123456.

In vBulletin, the post URL was ".../post?789789" and thus you could generate the post URL with only the number.

CapnZapp

Legend
So what you're saying is that you can't use the post tag?

(Because if all you have is the 789789 you yourself said that's enough, if you can use that method)

darjr

I crit!
Looking at it. Might be able to fix them in the database. Just gotta work out the query. Replacing new with www is the easy part. Do they work if it’s just that that is replaced? Also may have to bring back new and add it to the ssl domain list.

Remove ads