D&D 5E Post your pictures of your favorite Libraries here! (Candlekeep inspiration)

Zio_the_dark

The dark one :)
Richelieu-building-Paris-Bibliotheque-Nationale-de-France.jpg

This one from France

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
Going a different direction, here. But I think libraries with these are pretty cool. The one I know of is a storage for decades of science journals in tiny physical space.

There are new electronic ones with all sorts of safety features, or old mechanical ones that you could use to kill any unsuspecting scholar.
Oh, I like the idea of a library with things like this, but magically powered. Or even when all the big shelving units are together, and then you take out some books and shelves in the middle and you have a sweet hiding place surrounded by books.

TheSword

Legend
As a professional librarian, I do not have the fantastical view of them that many do. To me they are not mystical repositories or darkened fonts of knowledge. They are government buildings, like a Parks and Rec office. They are not mysterious. They are full of children playing, adults completing job applications, little old ladies getting romance novels.
The theme of Candlekeep is an instant mood killer for me. It's like having the adventurers be postal carriers.
I’m getting flashbacks to Ron Swansons wife in Parks and Recreation.

In my homebrew, the library of Hiir has a section that's just a balcony jutting out into a open space, from which the shelf with the book needed is summoned where it is presumably neatly stacked, though none of the PCs have ever actually seen where they're kept. It's probably in fact extradimensional space, but I haven't really defined that part yet.

Oh, I like the idea of a library with things like this, but magically powered. Or even when all the big shelving units are together, and then you take out some books and shelves in the middle and you have a sweet hiding place surrounded by books.

Remove ads