• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Potion of Greater Invisibility?

Is there a way to make a Potion of Greater Invisibility by the RAW?

Reason I asked is that I goofed when DMing a 3.5 session a couple of weeks ago and didn't realize/remember that the Potions of Invisibility the characters were using would have expired when they made their first attack.

I see in the SRD that potions can normally only be made from 3rd level or lower spells. Are there any exceptions or ways around this?

I don't want to undo that section of the adventure or replay that section, but I need a good explanation for why other Potions of Invisibility won't work in like these did in the future.

Ideas?

Jack Simth

First Post
Is there a way to make a Potion of Greater Invisibility by the RAW?

Reason I asked is that I goofed when DMing a 3.5 session a couple of weeks ago and didn't realize/remember that the Potions of Invisibility the characters were using would have expired when they made their first attack.

I see in the SRD that potions can normally only be made from 3rd level or lower spells. Are there any exceptions or ways around this?

I don't want to undo that section of the adventure or replay that section, but I need a good explanation for why other Potions of Invisibility won't work in like these did in the future.

Ideas?

Obscure prestige class. There's a lot of spells that are different levels for different classes, and there's a lot of PrC's that grant their own spellcasting, with different spells at different levels. Tack on to that the little bit that the DMG lets you make up your own PrC's - encourages it, actually - and you're pretty much set. Desgin a PrC with it's own spellcasting progression that can have Greater Invisibility as a 3rd level spell, and you're pretty much set.

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
If you can use Tome of Battle, consider the Cloak of Deception maneuver. Swift action to use, gives greater invisibility until the end of your turn. You can spend a feat or get a 3000 gp item to use it once/encounter at level 6 or higher. Or you can buy a martial script of it, which cost the same as potions and work similarly. Except in the script case, you read it in advance, and then can use it later on once as its regular intiation action (swift in this case).

Check the Magic Item Compendium. It might have some expendable item that gives greater invisibility for all I know.

azhrei_fje

First Post
In a blog posting somewhere years ago I remember seeing Monte (I think it was him) saying that there really was no reason why higher level spells couldn't be made into potions if they fit the general concept of being effective only for the imbiber.

He said that things like flaming sphere obviously don't make sense for a potion, but given the pricing formulas for potions it would get expensive pretty quick.

I'm not adverse to house ruling higher level potions if a player comes to me with a specific request, but I'm not going to allow it as a blanket rule.

irdeggman

First Post
Any magic item that doesn't fall under one of the other more specific items can be made as if a wonderous item (i.e., you need the craft wondrous item feat and then follow the pricing for them).

Remove ads