D&D 3E/3.5 potion of LONGEVITY (3e)

Cloudgatherer

First Post
Loren Pechtel said:
It's not needed. The Epic level handbook is supposed to have a longevity feat.

I'd disagree. Just because one is old does not mean one epic... We can have an 18th level wizard who has survived the ages with only potions of longevity....

Lazybones

Adventurer
There is also a master alchemist PrC in Magic of Faerun, which includes the ablility to brew high-level spells into potions at high levels. Using this class for a few scattered NPCs could also make such powerful elixirs appropriately rare (and expensive) in your campaign.

Grazzt

Demon Lord
Relics and Rituals (Sword and Sorcery Studios) has a ritual magic spell that grants immortality. Its requirements are pretty damn steep though (plus it is a ritual magic spell to boot).

The Sigil

Mr. 3000 (Words per post)
Hehehe...

Grazzt said:
Relics and Rituals (Sword and Sorcery Studios) has a ritual magic spell that grants immortality. Its requirements are pretty damn steep though (plus it is a ritual magic spell to boot).
You're not kidding about the requirements being steep. IIRC, one of the "material components" is another sentient creature that willingly gives up its life force to grant you immortality. It cannot be charmed or otherwise magically forced to do so. It cannot be later raised or resurrected. I imagine the going price for one of those creatures is pretty high. :b

--The Sigil

Grazzt

Demon Lord
Re: Hehehe...

The Sigil said:

You're not kidding about the requirements being steep. IIRC, one of the "material components" is another sentient creature that willingly gives up its life force to grant you immortality. It cannot be charmed or otherwise magically forced to do so. It cannot be later raised or resurrected. I imagine the going price for one of those creatures is pretty high. :b

--The Sigil

Agreed Sigil. Kind of a cool spell (and I think that material component alone pretty much balances it). Havent found too many sentient creatures willing to die just so you can live forever.

Re: Re: Hehehe...

Its actually not that hard to do. Look at it this way. Do a little searching and find a dirt poor peasant with a wife and several kids who can barely support them.

Make him a simple offer. If he sacrifices his life for you then you will give hiw wife and each child 100,000 GP and guaruntee that they shall life the life of pampered nobility for the rest of their lives. Promise him that since you will be imortal you will then be around forever and will be able to guaruntee that his wife and kids getto live that life for the rest of their natural lives.

Bingo, I bet you would have no problem finding someone willing. Heck go into some 3rd world countries today and I bet you could find a husband/father willing to give his life to you if you promised to give his family a million dollars and bring them to the USA.

Grazzt said:

Agreed Sigil. Kind of a cool spell (and I think that material component alone pretty much balances it). Havent found too many sentient creatures willing to die just so you can live forever.

Gromm

First Post
Re: Re: Re: Hehehe...

DocMoriartty said:

Bingo, I bet you would have no problem finding someone willing. Heck go into some 3rd world countries today and I bet you could find a husband/father willing to give his life to you if you promised to give his family a million dollars and bring them to the USA.

Well most suicide bombers (homicide bombers?) have that as an incentive. The family gets roughly $10k for them blowing themselves and some innocent Isrealis up.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Hehehe...

Gromm said:

Well most suicide bombers (homicide bombers?) have that as an incentive. The family gets roughly $10k for them blowing themselves and some innocent Isrealis up.

Actually, the impression I get is that many if not most of the suicide bombers are really suicides. They are simply deciding to take some of their enemies long with them.

Note, however, that this is not applicable to the spell in question: The sacrifice must have at least as many HD/levels (up to 18) as the recipient of the spell. It's not just anyone, it's one of the casters of the spell.

Personally, I see one situation where this might reasonably be used. Someone near death from old age (and no longevity magic available for whatever reason) might sacrifice himself for someone very close to him (spouse, child).

Al

First Post
Perhaps if you were some sort of religious leader and your faithful zealots regarded you as some sort of saint, it would be easy to call for one of them to make the ultimate sacrifice for his faith. This would be further compounded by promises of a glorious afterlife.

Remove ads