[PR] Second World Simulations announces Masters of Arms

Ranger REG

Explorer
Re: Why so many prestige classes?

sppeterson said:
Two main reasons here.

First, I like prestige classes (and templates) so I figure my customers will too.
But you almost practically have a prestige class for each weapon type.

At least there is a lot of options for me as a DM to trim it down. Thank goodness, prestige class rule is a variant rule for DM.

Last edited:

sppeterson

First Post
Actually I felt guilty about leaving out the halberd. Now the Society for the Promotion of Halberds is going to wonder why I've made such an unforgivable oversight.

bramadan

First Post
YOU DONT HAVE HALBERD YOU...
:D

Joking aside, it looks like a realy good idea to me. Anything that makes combat more intersting without introducing more magic and more fantastic monsters is good in my books.
Looking forward to your book.

Last edited:

enrious

I'm all in favor of anything that helps make unpopular weapons more reknown.

Anyone remember that trivia game in Castle Greyhawk that featured questions on polearms? One side was cheating by having copies of Unearthed Arcana...

I'm reminded of that whenever our group gets into a discussion about polearms.

sppeterson

First Post
The discussion reminded me of something else. I think I've seen some comments floating around that the Masters of the Wild book has some higher powered prestige classes (I'm not sure if that's true). One thing it looks like WotC learned from the TCG biz is to address minor power imbalances with additional options that make old classes more appealing. So you make some PrC's that are expensive to qualify for unless you're a Ranger and then give those PrC's a bit more oomph. In computer games this is the approach Blizzard takes with its expansions for Diablo II and Starcraft and it works incredibly well.

On a side-note, my halberd here at home wanted to point out that the Ranger was nowhere near as nerfed as the halberd in the switch to 3e. He says "I used to be the toughest polearm! I certainly was in 1st edition at least and now I'm just a weak greataxe with a little bit of flexibility."

Remove ads