D&D General Practicing DMing

Scruffy nerf herder

Toaster Loving AdMech Boi
After our last session, I came away feeling that I didn't carry out my role as DM in as crisp a manner as possible. Setting aside that we can be our own worst critics from time to time, it did get me thinking: Are there resources out there for someone to practice Dungeon Mastering away from the table?

There are certainly endless articles and videos on how others do things. Some of those are really great (e.g., IMO, Slyflourish.com and Matt Colville's Running the Game among others) but I'm looking for a little bit more than absorbing advice and then trying to play it out in actual games.

Much like musician practices scales and parts of songs/pieces leading up to a performance. Or an athlete does drills and practices plays between games. Or an artist doodles or what not before tackling a final work. Or a salesperson might practice their pitch in front of a mirror or family before calling a client. Or anyone might visualize doing something in their craft before doing it physically.

So, does anyone out there have suggestions or resources that instruct us how to practice Dungeon Master skills between sessions?

EDIT to add: deliberate practice is kinda the concept I'm going for here. What can we, as DMs, do outside of playing our weekly/bi-weekly/monthly sessions to practice?

Hook up with people in Discord groups. They do one-offs together all the time. If you DM some of those sessions, you'll find lots of opportunities to try different modes of play, styles of DMing, and get in enough repetition to learn what kind of DM you want to be.

Why Discord? It's super informal and freeform compared to Roll20, hopping into a voice chat, and it's easier to jump into a session almost right away.

There are always, always people online on Discord right now looking for a player or DM on short notice.

Hook up with people in Discord groups. They do one-offs together all the time. If you DM some of those sessions, you'll find lots of opportunities to try different modes of play, styles of DMing, and get in enough repetition to learn what kind of DM you want to be.

Good idea. Personally, I've been running 5e long enough to have a strong sense of my DMing style. At this point, I'm really looking to hone certain aspects of play - so full one-shots are not quite what I'm looking for. That doesn't mean it isn't helpful advice for others here though - so thank you for sharing.

I think what @Bupp has started is scratching some of the "Practicing DMing" itch for me... discrete scenarios run by DMs for other DMs with discussion about how each of us might choose slightly, or very, different approaches.

EDIT: updated invite

Last edited:

Bupp

Adventurer
Good idea. Personally, I've been running 5e long enough to have a strong sense of my DMing style. At this point, I'm really looking to hone certain aspects of play - so full one-shots are not quite what I'm looking for. That doesn't mean it isn't helpful advice for others here though - so thank you for sharing.

I think what @Bupp has started is scratching some of the "Practicing DMing" itch for me... discrete scenarios run by DMs for other DMs with discussion about how each of us might choose slightly, or very, different approaches.

Your invite looks expired.

Remove ads