Pray for Me, Sinners 😂😬

Voadam

Legend
Haha nice!

I have done a bunch of gothic horror themed stuff so plague doctors and mad scientist doctors have come up.

In one game where I was using recognizable characters as NPCs the party was getting information from Jerry Lewis the top alchemical professor at Lepidstadt University. One PC caught the allusion and offered him some snack nuts as a friendly gesture as they were eliciting plot points relevant to their investigation. Lewis thanked him and lectured about the development of military drugs the university was developing when he started going into anaphylactic shock, cutting off his divulging of plot info (5e's success now on a failed skill roll for complication later optional rule kicking in) so the characters shouted out for a doctor, knowing the medical school wing was not far down the hall from the Alchemy department. So steampunk Jodi Whittaker showed up saying she was a doctor.

In my 5e conversion of the Iron Gods adventure path (which is an ancient crashed space ship and localized supertech and post-apocalypse areas in D&D world AP) there was a hobgoblin cleric focused on undead in the original. I reskinned her to be a Necro-Surgeon which worked well as a sort of MASH WWII/Korean War medical camp mash up with fantasy undead creation. The campaign has also had riffs on Star Trek's emergency hologram program and Paranoia's doc bots.

I don't think a lot about the big picture medical system of the fantasy world, but I have had medical stuff worked in as discrete setting elements multiple times and they felt right for the game and the game world feel I was going for.

HaroldTheHobbit

Adventurer
Best of luck!

Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay 4e is my favourite system for disease!

In the latest Lustria book they added lots of tropical goodies such as Bleeding Eye Rot, Choking Lungblight and Necrotic Foot Rot. The namn alone of the last one make shure you roleplay washing your feet regularly and have a stock of dry socks. <3

Edit: And you may have killed the orc, but the gangrene from his rusty sword still mean you have to amputate your right leg a while later if you don’t make the rolls. Pure love!

Last edited:

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Best of luck!
Thanks!
Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay 4e is my favourite system for disease!

In the latest Lustria book they added lots of tropical goodies such as Bleeding Eye Rot, Choking Lungblight and Necrotic Foot Rot. The namn alone of the last one make shure you roleplay washing your feet regularly and have a stock of dry socks. <3

Edit: And you may have killed the orc, but the gangrene from his rusty sword still mean you have to amputate your right leg a while later if you don’t make the rolls. Pure love!
Brutal!
Best of luck and speedy recovery @doctorbadwolf !
Thank you!

The grey spot and floater in my right eye are faded enough today that I can’t see them when outside in the annoyingly bright sun, and the faulty-mirror distortion in my left peripheral field seems to be gone or small enough I can’t easily detect it, and the pressure I’ve had in my head isn’t noticeable today.
Yay meds!

Of course one of the meds they game me makes me fee puked all day, but hey, can’t win them all.

Dioltach

Legend
Thanks!

Brutal!

Thank you!

The grey spot and floater in my right eye are faded enough today that I can’t see them when outside in the annoyingly bright sun, and the faulty-mirror distortion in my left peripheral field seems to be gone or small enough I can’t easily detect it, and the pressure I’ve had in my head isn’t noticeable today.
Yay meds!

Of course one of the meds they game me makes me fee puked all day, but hey, can’t win them all.
Sounds like progess! Best of luck.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Good luck

Cast: greater restoration
Not in the context of rpg games because that is not the kind of gameplay I want to worry about.

But I do wonder that a world that had magic, would they come to scientific theory a lot sooner than in our world but from a practical anatomy and germ theory of disease direction rather then celestial mechanics.
I don't think so. The existence of healing magic, especially Greater Restoration, disincentivizes learning anything about anatomy or disease. Why bother when you can get someone to ask their god to make the problem go away?

Micah Sweet

Hope things go well.

I do not think too much about medicine in a fantasy setting. The campaign circles around the PCs and they never get sick or need cares from common colds and such. They may get a plague or sickness from a magical disease, but rarely since cures and healing is so common to the PCs.

Other problems such as sanitation is not brought up much either. Large cities have a sewer system mostly for places to make a dungeon, but small towns that dump their filth into the river or onto the street is passed over.
Not all campaigns only care about the PCs. That is  a playstyle only.

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
I don't think so. The existence of healing magic, especially Greater Restoration, disincentivizes learning anything about anatomy or disease. Why bother when you can get someone to ask their god to make the problem go away?
Will the god cooperate? All the time? It is really a setting assumption and you can justify it either way.

Micah Sweet

Will the god cooperate? All the time? It is really a setting assumption and you can justify it either way.
You sure can. But going by the WotC 5e default, it looks like if you have the cash, you can get a healing spell cast for you pretty easily. My own preference would make it much harder to get clerical healing without a substantial donation to the faith in question or actually being part of the priest's congregation. I don't believe WotC 5e makes that assumption.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases