• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pricing on a modified rod of withering

Slaved

First Post
I was looking at modifying a rod of withering to fit a character concept and I was wondering what the new price should be.

Rod of Dissolution
A rod of dissolution acts as a +1 light mace that deals no hit point damage. Instead, the wielder deals 1 points of damage to strength, dexterity, constitution, wisdom, intelligence, and charisma to any living creature she touches with the rod (by making a melee touch attack). If she scores a critical hit, the living creature gains a negative level instead of taking the ability damage. Against nonliving creatures this mace deals 5d4 damage (plus strength and other modifiers but no bonuses from this weapons enhancement). If she scores a critical hit then the nonliving creature is dazed for 1 round. This weapon does no damage to innanimate objects.
In any case, the defender negates the effect with a DC 17 save (Fortitude for living creatures, Will for nonliving creatures).

For comparison,
system resource document said:
Withering: A rod of withering acts as a +1 light mace that deals no hit point damage. Instead, the wielder deals 1d4 points of Strength damage and 1d4 points of Constitution damage to any creature she touches with the rod (by making a melee touch attack). If she scores a critical hit, the damage from that hit is permanent ability drain. In either case, the defender negates the effect with a DC 17 Fortitude save.
Strong necromancy; CL 13th; Craft Rod, Craft Magic Arms and Armor, contagion; Price 25,000 gp.

The effect to the living is the important part here, I added in the nonliving part so that it would not be worthless against those types so that part can be changed easily, damage seemed better than adding disruption. If the DC can be made to be scaling based on the wielder that would be great as well. I thought maybe 10 + base attack bonus but I could find nothing to compare that with for cost.

Remove ads