Primetime Adventures (setting finished, dead thread)

Captain Tagon

First Post
Teenagers with latent psychic powers encounter strange situations. (X-Files meets Roswell meets Phsychic Academy manga)

Elite Commando squad dealing with 'monsters'. (Tom Clancy meets Sci-Fi's Thanksgiving mosnter movie marathon)

anonystu

J'Accuse PirateCat!
Captain Tagon said:
Teenagers with latent psychic powers encounter strange situations. (X-Files meets Roswell meets Phsychic Academy manga)

Elite Commando squad dealing with 'monsters'. (Tom Clancy meets Sci-Fi's Thanksgiving mosnter movie marathon)

Both of those seem neat: here are some questions for you or anybody else to answer. (Remember, the setting ideally is the result of everybody working together)

a) Do you imagine the teenagers are in a academy sequestered from the rest of the world? Are they being trained by the military? Is this a private school? Or a secret from everybody?

b) Similarly, how much are monsters a part of everyday life? Who are these people? Where are the monsters coming from?

I think b needs a little twist to work: anybody want to supply that?

Last edited:

Imerak

First Post
Hmmm...I'm tossing around the idea of the (mis)adventurers of a law firm in a supernatural-filled world.

Interesting system...reminds me a bit of something I've seen before.

anonystu

J'Accuse PirateCat!
Imerak said:
Hmmm...I'm tossing around the idea of the (mis)adventurers of a law firm in a supernatural-filled world.

Do you imagine this being civil law? If it's criminal, could this not be a merge together of the Capes ideas above: i.e. the world has visible supernatural elements (of some form or another) in it, here are the detectives/prosecutors/super-naturals themselves who live in it?

I guess the most important question to think about in that idea is one of tone.

If you like the idea of keeping it all a law firm, then the next question is more: who is this law firm? What do the people in it do, and who do they generally represent? (Are they the clients of supernatural entities, and do a lot of damage control? Is this a Jonah Jameson style enterprise aiming to take down supernaturals?)

Imerak said:
Interesting system...reminds me a bit of something I've seen before.

Oh, it gets even better. :)

Last edited:

Super Girl

First Post
How about an indepent squad within the police that deals with super-natural threats known as the Spook Squad and their adventures?

Captain Tagon

First Post
anonystu said:
a) Do you imagine the teenagers are in a academy sequestered from the rest of the world? Are they being trained by the military? Is this a private school? Or a secret from everybody?

Well, to expan on the idea, I think there should be levels of how powerful the the psychs are. The PCs should probably be some of the stronger level ones, but not the strongest necessarily. Have lots of different groups of the psychs, schools like the X-Men and just random teams reminiscent of the Teen Titans as well as psych villains.

However, the characters of the show would be members of a government team that does investigation and occassional 'extermination' works. But possibly the Gov't is lying to the kids and having them kill some of the good guys.

b) Similarly, how much are monsters a part of everyday life? Who are these people? Where are the monsters coming from?

Maybe put it in space, on other planets and the monsters are really just aliens of some sort. The characters on the show are an elite strike force designed to protect mankind from these rabid 'beasts'.

I think b needs a little twist to work: anybody want to supply that?

Now with MECHA?!?!

Captain Tagon

First Post
Here's another one...

Goofy bounty hunter fun with a grim edge in a swashbuckling fantasy land. (Briscoe County Jr meets Soloman Kane meets Eberron)

Needed a fantasy idea.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
What about an elite squad of teenage psychics investigating superpowered monster homicides in a swashbuckling fantasy land?

or

The Lives and Loves of the Children, Grandchildren and Associates of the Clampert-Patterson Dynasty (ruled over by the firmfisted Grandma Elle-Mae Patterson (widowed))

Argent Silvermage

First Post
Basic concept: During the cold war era the soviets and americans both had experimented with using so called psychics for spying and remote assassinations. The experimants were a basic failure but the grand children of those psychics have all been born with extraordinary gifts due to the experimentation done to the grandparents when they were young.

These paranornals, or "Paras" as the news media calls them,are trained by differing secret organisations in order to combat a threat no one had anticipated and the children are being kept in the dark about exactly what that is... and a few precognatives have gone insane trying to see into the future.

Basicly a combination of Alias, the Tomorrow People and Buffy.

BTW... I would be very interested in this game.

doghead

thotd
Hey Argent, how's things?

The last couple of posts made me think of Final Fantasy (the movie). I think it was a mix of Captain Tagon's monster aliens from another planet and Argents paras trained to combat a threat that no one had anticipated. It could make a interesting variant on the alien attacks theme for a military/sifi game. The paras, unlike anyone in the actual movie, have the ability to see (sense) and to some extent interact (fight) with the spirits. Perhaps the reasons for spirits presence could change, and having conflicting factions amoung the spirits would give the story more scope I think.

A more civilian story could be built around similarly ephemeral spirits from another world, but there are no safe dome cities and the setting more contemporary. While some are, many of the spirits are not fundamentally lethal, nor even hostile. They appear, do odd things, then leave. Some even are helpful, however their reasons and motivations remain a mystery. But perhaps the overall tenor (at least the one portrayed by the media) is of a careless disregard for human life.

Mankinds response is of course, mixed. Fear predominates. Many want them wiped out, some worship them, some try to study them. Everyone wants to use them to serve their own ends. Scientists seek knowledge, governments seek new weapon technology, and corporations wealth.

I must admit to favouring a slightly darker sifi game.

On a completely different note (to borrow once again from Captain Targon), bounty hunter fun with a grim edge in a demon infested western setting.

thotd.

Remove ads