• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Primeval Awareness and other hidden gems

LightningArrow

First Post
To me, many people underestimate the value of the Magic Initiate feat. I'm even thinking of writing a thread about it. Just the cantrips are great on their own right.

About the guidance example people were debating before, a skillful character such as a rogue or ranger could use it every time before attempting a skill check not made in a rush (opening a lock, tracking foes, freeing yourself from a rope, taming an animal, etc.)

Staccat0

First Post
Primeval Awareness is kinda funny. My Ranger was like, "wait... it get's WORSE in my favored terrain?"
Me, "No... it extends to 6 miles."
Ranger, "Right. That's less accurate. I don't care if a monster is 6 miles away."
Me, "Umm... F***... Let's say you can control how far it's range is in your favored terrain."

As a DM I look at my player's abilities and do my best to include situations that use them and I look for cool abilities other classes have and try to put situations in front of the players that make them go, "Man, I wish we had a ___ about now. How do we solve this?"

So, hopefully in my games, there aren't any truly hidden gems :)

Primeval Awareness is kinda funny. My Ranger was like, "wait... it get's WORSE in my favored terrain?"
Me, "No... it extends to 6 miles."
Ranger, "Right. That's less accurate. I don't care if a monster is 6 miles away."
Me, "Umm... F***... Let's say you can control how far it's range is in your favored terrain."

As a DM I look at my player's abilities and do my best to include situations that use them and I look for cool abilities other classes have and try to put situations in front of the players that make them go, "Man, I wish we had a ___ about now. How do we solve this?"

So, hopefully in my games, there aren't any truly hidden gems :)

Yep. That's one of the things I noticed when I read through the class. The way I run it is to allow a ranger to sense both ranges in his favored terrain. "There are no fiends within 1 mile of you, but there are fiends within 6 miles of you."

It's always a good feeling when I get to tell a player how I've houseruled an ability to make it work better.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads