D&D 5E Princes of the Apocalypse campaign recaps

Rabbitbait

Adventurer
Here is the latest entry in our assault on the earth temple, in which the players are again defeated. But at least they are defeated in a cinematic fashion thanks to the idea [MENTION=31465]Nebulous[/MENTION] had of destroying the stone bridge. Thanks for that - it worked a treat.

https://deathgrind.obsidianportal.com/adventure-log/across-the-chasm

The players also realise that the elemental princes are about to be summoned and that it is the fault of the heroes. He he he.

Nebulous

Legend
Here is the latest entry in our assault on the earth temple, in which the players are again defeated. But at least they are defeated in a cinematic fashion thanks to the idea [MENTION=31465]Nebulous[/MENTION] had of destroying the stone bridge. Thanks for that - it worked a treat.

You're welcome, Rabbit. Thanks. PCs made it partway through the Howling Caves today, trying to use Ironfang to close the Air Node and then focus down on the last 2 cults. Got a new character too to replace the paladin and priest turned to stone, i'll put details in the next recap sometime this week.

sim-h

Explorer
If I may ask, Nebulous - how come you've ended up allowing any one of the elemental weapons to close any node, rather than the published version of each specific weapon for the matching specific node?

Nebulous

Legend
If I may ask, Nebulous - how come you've ended up allowing any one of the elemental weapons to close any node, rather than the published version of each specific weapon for the matching specific node?

It's not any weapon, it's only diametrically opposed elements, so fire will close water. Someone in this thread had that idea a while back and I liked it, so I used it.

Nebulous

Legend
That last one was a really, really awesome session, one of the more memorable ones, maybe because it was so dangerous the whole time?

sim-h

Explorer
It's not any weapon, it's only diametrically opposed elements, so fire will close water. Someone in this thread had that idea a while back and I liked it, so I used it.

Aha, cool. My lot haven't got that far yet (busy running round Rivergard Keep with Scarlet Moon Hall the probable next destination - they've got the distinct impression they shouldn't be going down into Tyar-Besil until they've checked out the surface outposts :) ).

Maybe I'll have it work that way too. Decisions, decisions.

Uller

Adventurer
I dont remember who came up with it but I'm usingit too. Nodes are closed by powerful diametrically opposed elemental magic. An elemental weapon. A devastation orb or a prophet.

Rabbitbait

Adventurer
The latest adventure log. It doesn't seem too exciting in the writing, but it was really high tension stuff, going into a second massive battle before they had any chance for a short rest. They were already very injured and out of resources.

I'm a bit sporadic in my gaming at the moment as work has become very busy, so gaming is not as often and updates will be less often as a result. I hope they are helpful (or interesting) though.

THE DEFEAT OF THE EARTH TEMPLE

The group realise that another battle is imminent. At this point they are already badly injured, so decide to retreat into Marlos’ room. The hope being that with a small door there will be a chokepoint and good cover so that they can take on one enemy at a time.

This appears to work well intially, with cultists and guards getting blocked at the doorway and only able to come in one at a time. However, then a Bulette comes into sight. The enemies move aside and the Bulette charges at the door, smashing the door and wall apart and opening a large hole in which enemies can enter. The earth wizard is seen at the back casting polymorph at Mythoras (unsuccessfully) and causing the earth to break apart under the heroes feet.

At this stage Layna has exited through a trapdoor and is watching a small path over the crevasse, and Kir takes fright, turns invisible and hides in the corner. Tito is quickly knocked unconscious and Mythoras finds himself alone in a small room, completely surrounded by enemies.

Fighting bravely, Mythoras manages to hold his own until Tito comes round and Layna is able to flank the enemies and kills the earth wizard before he is able to do much damage to the party. At that point the battle turns and the party are able to slowly whittle down the enemy numbers until they are defeated. All the inhabitants of the Earth Temple have been defeated, apart from the Dao who has no interest in them.

The group stop for a while to rest and recuperate before they plan their next move. They are worried that they may not have the capability to defeat Marlos and the Fane of the Eye, but Layna recalls (from when she had Windvane) that summoning an elemental prince takes time, and many sacrifices of sentient beings. She thinks they have some time yet, but not enough to go to the surface and get reinforcements. They also doubt that any help would be forthcoming with the beginnings of civil war imminent in Breland.

The group, remembering that all the temples appear to be joined decide to travel to the water again, but this time they will wipe out the cultists. They feel that if they wipe out the temples they may reduce the resources and capibility of their leaders to summon the elemental princes. After taking the time to loot the earth temple, they head back through the southern tunnel to the earth tunnel where they begin sneaking through the dark passages, slaughtering as they go. This time it is easier, as the sound of roaring water means that their slaughter is not heard by others....

Remove ads