D&D 5E Princes of the Apocalypse fathomer question

TallIan

Explorer
Very mild SPOILERS

I might be being a bit dense here but when a fathomer shape changes into a watersnake, where can I find stats for the medium serpent or does the water snake use the same AC and HP pool as the human fathomer.

Croesus

Adventurer
The fathomer keeps his AC and hit points in serpent form. This isn't druidic wild shape, it's closer to an alter self spell with some extras: swim speed, constrict attack, resistances and immunities.

BTW, my players absolutely hated these guys, as their constrict attack imposes the restrained condition. Sneak up on the party wizard, restrain him, then drag him under the water...ouch. :eek:

TallIan

Explorer
The fathomer keeps his AC and hit points in serpent form. This isn't druidic wild shape, it's closer to an alter self spell with some extras: swim speed, constrict attack, resistances and immunities.

Thanks, I was leaning that way as there is a lot more info in the fathomer entry than a druid gets for wild shape. I think I just got hung up with the comparison to wild shape. and the fact that it's called a medium serpent.

BTW, my players absolutely hated these guys, as their constrict attack imposes the restrained condition. Sneak up on the party wizard, restrain him, then drag him under the water...ouch. :eek:

That's a GREAT idea, I'll be doing that a lot. MMMWWWAAAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Remove ads