Printing spellcards

Flyspeck23

First Post
Sephera said:
I figured I would ask before I did anything to stay out of trouble. I appreciate the quick response. It gives me something to do while on bedrest, so I have plenty of time to create cards for myself.

Thank you SO much for allowing them to be saved!

Thanks for asking :)

And: my pleasure.

Sephera said:
I've read the FAQ on printing Spell Cards from TOGC site. I found my inital error in printing spell cards, my printer was resizing them to fit the margings (Bad Printer). I BELIEVE that they should line up properly. I am using Adobe 7.0.

Hope it works. There are so many factors to consider...
But resizing almost never works (unless the printer's margins are large enough, which might be the case with a few laser printers).

Sephera

First Post
Further work to be done

Unfortunately, I'm going to have to wait for Torin to get home from work. For some reason, my computer or printer or something refuses to install the new drivers. :\

Checking for updates for my computer.

-Sephera

Sephera

First Post
Hmm

Drivers updated, check
Eliminate page scaling, check
No duplex printing, check
No Auto-rotate and center, check
tried leaving Auto-rotate and center on, check

I still can't get it to work. :( I have a Canon i900D, any suggestions?

I know it's something on my end. I just don't know what. Torin already checked the drivers, etc. and said they're fine.

-Sephera

Last edited:

Flyspeck23

First Post
Hmmmm.... that's strange...

I don't know that printer, but it can't be the source of the problem (or Canon screwed up royally). After a quick google, it seems like your printer (a photo printer, no less) has an option for borderless printing - not sure if it works for letter-sized paper, but if it does, give it a try. Or have you been using that option all along?

Some people have told be that they tried to print on A4 paper, and the cards are made for letter-sized paper. Then again, I'm using A4 too, and it works like a charm.

This might well be the first time I'm totally clueless and unable to help. But I'll think about it, and will start to ask around...

One more thing: how large is the gap?

Sephera

First Post
I want a different printer

Okay, started trying to adjust settings again today. New day, new possibilities.

First realization. I'm printing on cardstock, not plain paper. I have a photo printer that doesn't give an option for cardstock, just lots of choices for photo paper. Enee, Meenee, Minee, Mo...I chose Matte Photo Paper. (Other choices were: Plain Paper, Photo Paper Pro, Photo Paper Plus Glossy, Glossy Photo Paper, High Resolution Paper, T-shirt Transfer, Transparency, or Envelope.) The cardstock I'm using is Georgia Pacific White Card Stock, 110 weight.

Different paper type - didn't work
Borderless printing - didn't work
I'm going to try printing as image.

-Sephera

You know my brother could probably fix this, too bad he's in Colorado and I'm in Maryland. :(

Just realized I have another Printer. Would a HP deskjet 970c series work better?

Last edited:

Sephera

First Post
Print as photo

Print as Photo didn't work. I'm going to see if I can figure out where the other printer is located and see if it works any better.

-Sephera

Sephera

First Post
Flyspeck23 said:
One more thing: how large is the gap?

The pages keep printing out so that one page ends up being diagonal from the other. When I'm looking at the back of the page where the descriptions are continued, the right hand top edge is only minimally out of alignment. However, the left hand top edge ends up being at least 1/4" out of alignment.

The other thing that happens is the front page seems to be printing larger than the back page and all of the front cards are appearing about 1/4" to the right of the back cards. I set the printer options to not resize either page, but it's still not working. I'm in the process of switching to the other printer, maybe that one will work. :\

-Sephera

Flyspeck23

First Post
Sephera said:
The pages keep printing out so that one page ends up being diagonal from the other. When I'm looking at the back of the page where the descriptions are continued, the right hand top edge is only minimally out of alignment. However, the left hand top edge ends up being at least 1/4" out of alignment.

The other thing that happens is the front page seems to be printing larger than the back page and all of the front cards are appearing about 1/4" to the right of the back cards. I set the printer options to not resize either page, but it's still not working. I'm in the process of switching to the other printer, maybe that one will work. :\

Yes, the printer seems to be the cause. I'm not that much of a computer expert, but I guess the printer has problems interpreting the PostScript send by Acrobat.

Maybe it's not a good idea to print the cards on a photo printer (AFAIK photos don't use PostScript when printed, so your printer might just not be suited for the task) - and isn't that awfully expensive anyways? (Some color printers, especially those made for photo printing, tend to use some color ink when printing b/w - that's unnecessary and a waste.)

But take that with a grain of salt - as I said, I'm not an expert.

Sephera

First Post
Different printer

Can't find the power cord for the HP Deskjet 970, so I went to the store, realized I would probably also need ink. Power cord - $10, 1 black and 1 tri-color ink cartridge for the 970 - $65! (Yes, that was name brand rather than discount, but that's ridiculous!) Hmm, nearby sits a box that says it has a power cord and ink included in the same box and it happens to come with a printer for $69.99. $69.99 is less than $75, plus the replacement in on the printer is much less expensive than the HP 970. So, I pick up the box with the ink, power cord and a printer thrown in for good measure.

Now the test, okay it was a bit difficult to set up, but it finally set up properly. I print a single spell page, so far so good. I turn it over to print the other side. What do my wondering see appear when held up to the light? Spell cards! Aligned perfectly! I cut them apart with my paper cutter and I have 9 wonderfully aligned spell cards ready to add to my collection of cards to select from when I level up.

So, if anyone is having problems with their printer, it really is true, sometimes it's cheaper to just buy a whole new printer than it is to replace the ink. I purchased a HP Deskject F340 All-in-One Printer, Scanner, and Copier for roughly $70 at Wal-mart. And fast draft mode looks beautiful!

Oh happy day! I think I'll say that again. Oh, happy day! [suddenly you hear ending music from Peter and the Wolf]

:lol:

-Sephera

Flyspeck23

First Post
Sephera said:
Can't find the power cord for the HP Deskjet 970, so I went to the store, realized I would probably also need ink. Power cord - $10, 1 black and 1 tri-color ink cartridge for the 970 - $65! (Yes, that was name brand rather than discount, but that's ridiculous!) Hmm, nearby sits a box that says it has a power cord and ink included in the same box and it happens to come with a printer for $69.99. $69.99 is less than $75, plus the replacement in on the printer is much less expensive than the HP 970. So, I pick up the box with the ink, power cord and a printer thrown in for good measure.

Now the test, okay it was a bit difficult to set up, but it finally set up properly. I print a single spell page, so far so good. I turn it over to print the other side. What do my wondering see appear when held up to the light? Spell cards! Aligned perfectly! I cut them apart with my paper cutter and I have 9 wonderfully aligned spell cards ready to add to my collection of cards to select from when I level up.

So, if anyone is having problems with their printer, it really is true, sometimes it's cheaper to just buy a whole new printer than it is to replace the ink. I purchased a HP Deskject F340 All-in-One Printer, Scanner, and Copier for roughly $70 at Wal-mart. And fast draft mode looks beautiful!

Oh happy day! I think I'll say that again. Oh, happy day! [suddenly you hear ending music from Peter and the Wolf]

:lol:

I feel your joy :)

And the ink prices are insane (or rather, the printer prices are - the producers calculate the prices so they're making money with the ink, not the printers, because the think you'll buy just one printer but you'll need many ink cartridges). That's why I got a laser printer :D

Now I'm wondering if I should add a note about photo printers to the FAQ...

Remove ads