• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Product Comparisons?

Hecatæus

First Post
I have been looking about here for some time, and apart from some informal though nice comparisons between specific programs, I am still unsure what is a good combination of complemetary. Has there been any general and oobjective comparisons between the various programs available for preparing and management, presentation and running of RPGs? ...esp d20 games.

In preparation for preparing my first serious 3e campaign I am going to be trying out what I can of the free stuff, so I guess the question goes out mainly but not exclusively to the for-pay products...clearly E-Tools needs to be patched, so I will ignore it until it is.

Thanks all.

[edit]
I realize that many use email and websites to help prepare and present their games. Free is good.

Many small and free programs use Excel; I don't currently have Excel...is it worth the money for a gamer when compared to the for pay rpg programs?

Last edited:

Twin Rose

First Post
Hecatæus said:
I have been looking about here for some time, and apart from some informal though nice comparisons between specific programs, I am still unsure what is a good combination of complemetary. Has there been any general and oobjective comparisons between the various programs available for preparing and management, presentation and running of RPGs? ...esp d20 games.

A lot of people have written reviews and comparisons of the various programs available on the market. Each one has it's strengths and weaknesses, but more and more they are starting to work together and create a true group of programs that will help the gamer. It really depends on what you want out of a program.

I, of course, cannot speak unbiasedly since I write and proffit from one of the programs. I'm sure others will jump in and be of help to you here - I can only say what CS does and how, and let you maybe get an idea from that.

TheAuldGrump

First Post
Hmmm, I can list the programs that I use at least, and a motley crew they are:

Dungeon Crafter (1 and 2), Izandwo, and Fractal Mapper for mapping (Buildings, towns and landmasses respectively.)
Tyger's Demigod for reference
PCGen for NPC creation
Monster DB by Fantasy World Productions for critters
Blake Whitelaw's Stat Block Generator for town statistics and misc. creature statblocks (Minor NPCs and encounters.)
Jamis Buck's Treasure Generator for, well, treasure generation (Without something like this I am way too stingy with treasure...)
Word Perfect to tie everything together and to create handouts.
Whew!

Of these I haven't been able to find Blake Whitelaw's Stat Block program online for over a year now. Fortunately I still have a copy, just want to know if it's been updated.
Dungeon Crafter is metamorphosing into Dungeon Crafter 2, an even better program. There is also a Wilderness Crafter in the works.
And PCGen goes through weekly updates, I tend to get about every other update myself.
I am currently trying Role Playing Master, which may cut this tangle down a bit, hopefully the stat blocks and initial presentation (something not yet covered) in particular.

The Auld Grump

Hecatæus

First Post
I am mostly looking for a tool to 1st create said campaign. Campaign management is second; combat management is third.

For some reason I can't get Java 1.4.1 to work....so I can't try PCGen nor others. :( I must get help this weekend when I have time.

Twin Rose

First Post
Hecatæus said:
I am mostly looking for a tool to 1st create said campaign. Campaign management is second; combat management is third.

For some reason I can't get Java 1.4.1 to work....so I can't try PCGen nor others. :( I must get help this weekend when I have time.

Personally, I would recommend my own Campaign Suite software. We have a lot of features for doing everything from adding your own encounter tables, to stocking complete areas with NPCs (need a tavern on the fly?) treasures, dungeons, etc. All the campaign info comes with handy RTF exports as well.

Remove ads