Level Up (A5E) Sins of the Scorpion Age, Sword and Sorcery Campaign Setting

GuyBoy

Hero
As always, this is well-considered and interesting.

Acain works well as a high language, and it also resonates with English speakers with both “arcane” and “archaic”, thereby subtly assisting suspension of disbelief for players. It would work well inscribed in sunken ruins (and spider-haunted ones!). As the language of sorcery, it would carry a faintly sinister vibe too.

The whole 1066 language thing is a fascinating case study. The dichotomy between “food words” such as pork/pig, beef/cow was largely due to whether one did the hard work raising them (ie Anglo-Saxon) or the easier work of eating them (Norman French). It was similar with what we now consider swear words describing sexual functions or parts of the human body; words like f**k and c**t weren’t considered swearing till after 1066, when language became very class ridden.
Even the French word for a castle keep - donjon - gave rise to the English word dungeon, as it was rarely good news for Anglo-Saxon peasants to be taken in to the lord’s donjon after 1066.
The fact that drinking wine is often considered “classier” than drinking beer, has roots in the preferred tastes of Normans v Saxons.

I’m probably digressing, but power assumptions of languages can be an interesting tool in your campaign.

Steampunkette

Rules Tinkerer and Freelance Writer
Supporter
I did also wanna touch on the idea of Gender-Language, rather than Gendered Language.

There are a handful of cultures in the world where men and women literally speak different languages. They both have to learn their own language -and- the language of the other in order to communicate, but only speak their own... And then the idea of Genderfluid or Nonconforming people mixing and matching between the two languages without hesitation, qualm, or stigma.

GuyBoy

Hero
Nice concept. This would add even more of a positive vibe to your setting. I’d support the idea.

Regarding Thief’s Cant as a separate language. Go with it if you like it. My only thought is that a universal Cant, as opposed to variations on the prevalent language that allow “hidden” communication, is hard to reconcile.
I come from the East End of London, and my maternal grandmother’s family were....dodgy. They were also Cockneys and spoke regularly in rhyming slang, which originated as a form of thief’s cant to confuse authority. It also served to confirm a cultural identity.
Similarly, my wife is from a Roma/traveller background and there are a number of words and phrases that speak more to other Roma than they do to gorgers ( non Roma). More simply, my own username on this site is a fairly common addition of Boy to a husband’s name.

In neither case, am I suggesting that either Cockneys or Roma are more likely to engage in illegal activity ( I would be attacking my own, or my wife’s heritage if I did), but that two unique variants on the base language provide interesting clues to Thief’s Cant.

Your world continues to enthrall and amaze.

Steampunkette

Supporter
The hope is to do multiple thieves cants that are as regional as everything else. The Satru language isn't meant to be Roma, either. The name comes from Šatrovački, which is a Serbo-Croatian "Pig Latin" style thief's cant. It mostly involves swapping the first and last syllable of a word. Which is why it's tied to Gresia, which is meant to be a Caucasus style of culture, at least in theory.

Faolyn

(she/her)
I had my husband look over it all and he got a bit confused about the religions. The idea is that people worship the Six and the Beast out of fear of the danger those deities pose, not out of love or affection, which the Flower gets -some- of. But the different religious groups I've outlined, so far, don't really represent that well because I just use the term "Worship" in the writeups.
Use supplicate or appease instead.

Steampunkette

Supporter
Il'sha-ah
City of the Ancients

Built beyond the Age of Dreaming Il'sha-ah has always stood at the Cobra's Hood, the delta of the great river of Annam, of Myr, of Ancais. It's fortunes and fate have waxed and waned across time, and it has seen the world as center of trade, temple city, city of wisdom, and more countless times. But during the Sword Age, it became the capital of Annam, and has remained so, since.

From it's palace, the Phaoris rules over the living and the dead of Annam, advised by those who ruled, before, and those who serve. It's six pyramids, dedicated to the seventh, the Palace, each house the Phaori-Tep, the past which breathes.

Seek Il'sha-ah for Wisdom, for History, and for Wealth... But leave it's beauty behind, lest you find yourself joining the Phaori-Tep, trapped in the past.

-The Chronicler-

Just starting in on Annam... Things are going slow because my brother is injured and we're taking care of him, here.

Steampunkette

Supporter
Annam1.png

Steampunkette

Supporter
Oof... Over a week between pages. Sorry, all! Taking care of my brother and the house without his help has been a lot.

Here's more about the city of Il'sha-ah and Annam in general!

Annam2.png

Remove ads