Projected map vs. terrain objects

Which 'enhanced battlemat' would you prefer?

Snapdragyn

Explorer
I see a lot of advantage to projection (particularly if you can work in 'fog of war' &/or lightsource shading - those would probably switch my vote).

That said, I voted terrain - having once played with it, I can never forget how much it stoked my imagination to actually move my character mini behind a tree, or up a hill, or across the deck of a ship. Being on the player side of the equation, of course, probably made it a bit easier to like as I got to skip any of the cost/prep negatives.

dougmander

Explorer
I have a huge collection of Dwarven Forge scenery -- it looks amazing and gives such a clear picture of the combat environment. But it takes time to set up, and you can't save a layout between gaming sessions.

A projector would be really neat -- I'd love to try that. Maybe use Dwarven Forge for scenery, and a projector for lighting and spell effects?

I've also used Second Life to create modular scenery and run D&D games in a 3-D environment.

X

xnosipjpqmhd

I voted 3D because there wasn't an option for "both." After having experimented with maybe a dozen different ways to present tabletop maps, I now believe you need a variety of methods in your arsenal for different purposes.

I only used a projection system once, and it had too many drawbacks to use long-term.

I use printed color maps / tiles most of the time. Super cheap, quick set-up/removal, easy to transport, can slide along the table during exploration, etc.

I use 3d terrain only for important climactic scenes that I know the PCs won't avoid and will take much of the session to play out.

I draw on a big blank battle grid whenever the PCs go somewhere I didn't prepare for.

Occasionally I'll whip out other resources for variety sake, such as Tactiles, etc.

BlueBlackRed

Explorer
3D terrain = "I can't see around that wall. Can you move it? How'd I end up there? That's not where I wanted to be."

Projection = "How much for a replacement bulb?"
We wanted to do projection, but the cost killed that pretty quick.

B4cchus

Explorer
First of all: thanks for the reactions and mostly your experiences with both methods.
The reactions so far are a good representation of my own position on the subject. Almost evenly balanced with a slight preference for projected maps. Right now i am leaning towards using the projector as the main tool and adding some tarrain objects for added flavour.
My biggest problem with the terrain objects is that i'd need a huge collection of different pieces in order to remain somewhat flexible (and not present my players with very boring dungoens build from simple, straight walls).
I do agree that the objects add a lot of flavour and enhance the overall experience.

As I said, thanks for your comments, keep them coming!

Ruined

Explorer
I've recently started using the projector method and I'm really enthused with it. Your cons are valid ones to consider. For me, a couple of factors made it easier:

• I'm a Dundjinni user, so I was already spending the time to design the maps.
  • I'm a Photoshop user, so the fog of war effect and other uses are easy to do.
  • Any artistic talent I have does NOT translate to painting minis or terrain. I truly wish it did.

I really wish I was good at terrain and modeling. I've always envied the wargame boards I've seen out at Origins. But I know my limitations. I may get the items, but then I probably wouldn't use them. I don't even use the cool Dungeon Tiles that WotC published.

Remove ads