D&D 4E PROPS TO PAIZO – On How Pathfinder feels (more like) D&D (to me) than 4E

Cyberzombie

Explorer
Mind you, I call the version of D&D that I play Pathfinder, but I also don't play 4e at all.

The result is that outside of bulletin boards I don't use the term D&D at all, anymore. :(

The Auld Grump

My son may know what D&D is. I'm not sure. We've only ever played Pathfinder with him and that's what he knows it as.

TheAuldGrump

First Post
It ain't in my Old Testament, thankyouverymuch. :lol::lol:
But is, however, very much in the Catholic and Orthodox old testaments, and is also still part of Judaism - in short the old Old Testament. I believe Lutherans also still recognize the book.

King James (may he rot*) did some picking and choosing.

The Auld Grump

* My dislike of King James has little or nothing to do with his reinterpretation of The Book, but rather in his reversal of rules of evidence in regards to witchcraft trials. Thousands died because of that hypocritical sod. An accused witch had to prove innocence (itself often by fatal means) rather than the prosecution needing to prove guilt.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter

Ladies and Gentlemen,

Real-world religion? We've got a rule about that for good reason. Please drop it. Thank you.

TheAuldGrump

First Post

Ladies and Gentlemen,

Real-world religion? We've got a rule about that for good reason. Please drop it. Thank you.
Yeah, that is a problem inherent to games that borrow from real world religions....

Moving right along... I wonder what percentage of folks that like playing wizards, clerics, or other spellcasters who prefer Pathfinder is compared to those who prefer playing them in 4e/Essentials?

Good for a poll, or too likely to devolve into edition warring?

The Auld Grump

S'mon

Legend
Yeah, that is a problem inherent to games that borrow from real world religions....

Moving right along... I wonder what percentage of folks that like playing wizards, clerics, or other spellcasters who prefer Pathfinder is compared to those who prefer playing them in 4e/Essentials?

Good for a poll, or too likely to devolve into edition warring?

The Auld Grump

Hmm...I certainly like DMing for 4e Wizards & Clerics a lot better. :D They're good classes in 1e, but I find they work very poorly in 3e - at very low level Wizards are too weak, lacking the game-changing 1/day of the 1e M-U, unless the player makes a big pile of scrolls, in which case they're already too strong. Then they are about balanced at 3rd-4th level, and OTT by 5th+. 3e Clerics are just horrible; as soon as they can buy (if GM allows) a wand of clw they have effectively infinite healing; the Buff spells come in at 3rd level - either massively overpowered in 3.0 or a pain to track in 3.5 - and they are clearly more powerful than Fighters, though not quite at the 3.5 Druid level of "My pet is better than your PC".

4e Clerics seem a nicely balanced class, leaving aside stuff in Divine Power (Moment of Glory). 4e Wizards have mostly rather weak at-wills plus the best Dailies, which is thematic but generally works well; a few problems with spells that are broken mechanically (Visions of Avarice, damage-at-start-of-turn) have now been errated.

As a player, the big change for me is that the 4e Fighter rocks, the exact opposite of the 3e sad sack. I like playing Fighters, so this is great. I have to say though that I'm not keen on playing a 4e Wizard. A GM was trying to get me to play one for an upcoming one-shot and I refused.

Remove ads