Protection against glitterdust?

Jack99

Adventurer
So, aside from a high will-save, or being blind, or blindsight/tremorsense, do you guys know of anything that can protect against Glitterdust?

I have a player that casts it alot, and I just need a few things up my sleeve for a few choice monsters that I do not want blinded.

So, anything that I have missed? Magical items, some spells?

Infiniti2000

First Post
Unfortunately, no. Because the spell does not allow SR, countermeasures like spell immunity do not work. Because the spell is not targeted, countermeasures like a ring of counterspells or spell turning do not work. You could pro actively counterspell it, but that's really planning ahead, so make sure it would make sense within the context of your game.

PS. As an aside, I personally recommend nerfing glitterdust to allow a save each round to shrug off the blinding, similarly to the change in hold person. No wonder players always pick this spell because it is horribly broken as is.

GMVictory

Explorer
Ring of Counterspells could negate the first one cast. It does not depend on the wearer being targeted to counter a spell being cast. The drawback of the ring is that it is automatic and the wearer has no control over when the ring can be used.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
GMVictory said:
Ring of Counterspells could negate the first one cast. It does not depend on the wearer being targeted to counter a spell being cast.

It depends upon the spell being 'cast upon the wearer'. A spell that targets me is certainly 'cast upon' me. A spell that includes me in the area is more ambiguous, and a spell that creates an effect that subsequently acts upon me is more ambiguous still.

For example, if I have a Ring of Counterspells containing Acid Arrow, it's unlikely to be of much benefit to me. The spell creates an effect, and then that effect shoots out and hits me - if the impact qualifies as the spell being cast upon me, then it's too late - the spell was complete when the arrow appeared, before it struck me, so it's no longer possible to counter it.

Similarly, a Fireball affects an area - the caster is not casting it upon the creatures over there, he is just casting it into that region of space. He might not even be aware the creatures are there. Any creatures who happen to be within that space will be affected, but the spell wasn't cast upon them.

Now, Glitterdust is an interesting case in that the area is not the region of space; rather, the area is defined in terms of the creatures within that space. I think there's a better case for saying that Glitterdust is cast upon the creatures than there is for saying that Fireball is cast upon the creatures. Not as good as if Glitterdust were Target: N creatures, but of course that would defeat one of Glitterdust's primary functions, since you can't target someone you can't see!

-Hyp.

frankthedm

First Post
GMVictory said:
Ring of Counterspells could negate the first one cast. It does not depend on the wearer being targeted to counter a spell being cast. The drawback of the ring is that it is automatic and the wearer has no control over when the ring can be used.
Infinti2000 and I read the ring of counterspells' requirement "should that spell ever be cast upon the wearer" as to mean the spell has to target the ring wearer, not to simply have the victim be in the area to be effected. Otherwise the ring could wind up countering a spell already spreading to fill it's area.

Rings said:
Counterspells
This ring might seem to be a ring of spell storing upon first examination. However, while it allows a single spell of 1st through 6th level to be cast into it, that spell cannot be cast out of the ring again. Instead, should that spell ever be cast upon the wearer, the spell is immediately countered, as a counterspell action, requiring no action (or even knowledge) on the wearer’s part. Once so used, the spell cast within the ring is gone. A new spell (or the same one as before) may be placed in it again.

Moderate evocation; CL 11th; Forge Ring, imbue with spell ability; Price 4,000 gp

Elder-Basilisk

First Post
Potions of remove blindness.

Dispel magic

Counterspell (either through readied action (counterspell proper, or disrupt spell with damage or silence) or a means to immediate action counterspell such as duelward, the greater ring of counterspells or ring of spell battle)

lesser globe of invulnerability

greater globe of invulnerability

antimagic shell

You can also mitigate the effects of glitterdust with blindfight and uncanny dodge.

Infiniti2000

First Post
The litmus test with fireball and similar spells with respect to a ring of counterspells is when the fireball breaks through a barrier to reach the person. You get a paradox.

1. Fireball breaks through barrier, so barrier is destroyed.
2. Victim wearing the ring gets enveloped by the fireball.
3. Ring of counterspells triggers, negating the fireball and per the rules on counterspells: "...both spells automatically negate each other with no other results."
4. The barrier is therefore not destroyed because there are no other results.
5. The victim is not actually reached, therefore his ring doesn't trigger.
6. Go to 1.

:lol:

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Infiniti2000 said:
You get a paradox.

1. Fireball breaks through barrier, so barrier is destroyed.
2. Victim wearing the ring gets enveloped by the fireball.
3. Ring of counterspells triggers, negating the fireball and per the rules on counterspells: "...both spells automatically negate each other with no other results."
4. The barrier is therefore not destroyed because there are no other results.
5. The victim is not actually reached, therefore his ring doesn't trigger.
6: HOLE RIPPED IN CAUSALITY. Welcome to the Abyss / Astral Plane / Far Realms!

Cheers, -- N

MarkB

Legend
There's also the option to use monsters with blindsight or other non-visual senses. If the PC in question is known for such spells, opponents may get themselves buffed-up with spells providing alternate senses.

Another simple solution is cannon fodder. Send some cheap, expendable mooks in first in a nice, tight 10-foot-radius formation, then send in the real attack once you hear the screams of "My eyes! They Burrrn!"

Nifft said:
6: HOLE RIPPED IN CAUSALITY. Welcome to the Abyss / Astral Plane / Far Realms!
What, all three at once? That's got to be painful! :D

Remove ads