• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Protection against stunning and confusion?

Fimmtiu

First Post
So the group I'm playing in is currently deep in the bowels of the earth, running into a lot of mind flayers and umber hulks. As as result, it's a total Will save fiesta here, let me tell you. Last night it came within a hair's breadth of being an ignominous TPK, with the entire party stunned or confused, and we were only saved by a confused mind flayer going berserk and eating one of his friend's brains.

So my question is this... what are the different ways that stunning and confusion can be cured? Dispel Magic will probably do it, but runs the risk of stripping off all our buffing spells. The only spell I can find in the PHB that specifically mentions curing mental effects is Greater Restoration, which is still well out of our reach at this point. Spell Immunity (confusion) won't work against umber hulks, unfortunately. Would an illithid's mind blast be considered an "enchantment" for the purposes of Break Enchantment? Does stunning fall under the purview of Remove Paralysis? What about just slapping the person around and telling them to snap out of it? I don't have the Psi Handbook handy, but are there any Psychic Warrior powers that might help deal with this, too?

Advice appreciated; we've got at least one more session of mind flayers coming up, and we'd like to avoid skin-of-our-teeth escapes from utter obliteration this time around. Thanks!

gfunk

First Post
Stunning is an instantaneous effect, so it cannot be removed, cured or dispelled. It can be prevented with high level spells: Iron Body, Shapechange (into Construct/Undead), or Elemental Body (MotP).

Confusion is somewhat easier since it works continually. It could be dispelled or gotten rid of with Break Enchantment.

BTW, Greater Restoration has a casting time of 10 minutes. By the time you finish, the stunned character will have long since recovered (or died).

Darklone

The only way to counteract those mindblasts would be the area of effect psionic defense.... helps the whole group.

Storm Raven

First Post
Fimmtiu said:
Advice appreciated; we've got at least one more session of mind flayers coming up, and we'd like to avoid skin-of-our-teeth escapes from utter obliteration this time around. Thanks!

Invest in Cloaks (or Vests) of Resistance and Periapts of Wisdom.

Elder-Basilisk

First Post
Mind Blank will protect against Confusion and will probably protect against the Mind Flayer's Mind Blast as well. It's pretty high level though.

At lower levels, Gaze Screen (T&B) would help against the Umber Hulks. So would Blindsight (one of the FR books) and Deeper Darkness or the blindfighting feat.

Remove ads