• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Protection from being stunned?

Szordrin

First Post
Anyone know of a spell that protects a creature from being stunned? My DnD group had a discussion where one person thought that freedom from movement protected the target from being stunned because the spell specifically states that it protects from any spell that would prevent the person from moving or attacking normaly (per the spell description in the PHB). I think that is reading a bit too much into the spell and goes beyond the spirit of the spell. Thoughts?

Caliban

Rules Monkey
Szordrin said:
Anyone know of a spell that protects a creature from being stunned? My DnD group had a discussion where one person thought that freedom from movement protected the target from being stunned because the spell specifically states that it protects from any spell that would prevent the person from moving or attacking normaly (per the spell description in the PHB). I think that is reading a bit too much into the spell and goes beyond the spirit of the spell. Thoughts?

No PHB spell will protect you from being stunned, although may indirectly protect you by preventing the attack that causes the stunning effect. (Resist Elements: Sonic will block Sound Burst, Stone Skin might prevent a monk's stunning attack if they don't penetrate the DR, etc.)

gfunk

First Post
Re: Re: Protection from being stunned?

Caliban said:

No PHB spell will protect you from being stunned, although may indirectly protect you by preventing the attack that causes the stunning effect. (Resist Elements: Sonic will block Sound Burst, Stone Skin might prevent a monk's stunning attack if they don't penetrate the DR, etc.)

Actually, Iron Body will render you immune to stunning.

Also, if you use Shapechange to change into a construct, undead, or elemental you gain that creature's type. Therefore you could become immune to stunning.

Caliban

Rules Monkey
Re: Re: Re: Protection from being stunned?

gfunk said:

Actually, Iron Body will render you immune to stunning.

Also, if you use Shapechange to change into a construct, undead, or elemental you gain that creature's type. Therefore you could become immune to stunning.

good point. I'd forgotten all about Iron Body. I don't play at those levels. :p

I forget the spell, but some sonic spells will still stun you, even if you take no damage.

I would make a unique wonderous item that did the job, and I wouldn't price it very high.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads