Protective Aura

Scharlata

First Post
Hi, celestial beings and other kinds of angelic creatures!

Protective Aura (Su) [as described in the MM, p. 10, Angel] is a powerful but yet ambiguous feature of the Angels and some other types of Upper-Plane-Critters.

As the MM states, the Protective Aura provides an AC bonus and a ST bonus to all within the area of effect. It furthermore functions like a magic circle against evil [MCaE] effect and a lesser globe of invulnerability [LGoI] effect with a radius of 20 feet with a caster level = angel's HD. The aura can be dispelled.

My questions are as follows:

1.) Is the Protective Aura mobile? [LGoI is normally immobile.]

2.) Is it possible to dismiss the MCaE part of the effect, since the spell MCaE can't be dismissed?

3.) Is it possible to dismiss the LGoI part of the effect, since the LGoI can be dismissed?

4.) If you can dismiss only one part of the effect, is it possible to dismiss both parts of the effect together, neither of both parts, only the dismissible part of the effect?

5.) How is it possible for an angel to attack a foe if the angel hasn't beat the spell resistance of the opponent (see MCaE effect)? Is it true that the angel breaks this part of the MCaE effect automatically if it corners the opponent or moves toward the foe?

6.) How could the angel possibly heal anyone in need [or use any other Touch or short range spell or spell-like ability within] if the LGoI effect is still operating and the effect weren't dismissible?

7.) If one of the parts of the effect is dismissible, how long does it take to do that? Is it a standard action as normal?

8.) The caster level of the effect is equal to the Hit Dice of the angel. How long is the duration of the effect? 10 minutes per level as per the MCaE part of the effect or 1 round per level as per the LGoI part of the effect? Do the parts have separated durations?

9.) Is the Protective Aura a nuisance or do you like it?

Thanx for your time.

Thanee

First Post
1.) It's centered on the celestial and moves with the creature.

2.) LOL, good question. I'd suppose so.

3.) No, it's only one ability, all or nothing.

4.) See above.

5.) Why? MCaE does not hinder your own attacks. However, the celestial will then break the part of it, that hedges out summoned creatures, as explained under PfE. Not that this is really a problem, since the aura can be renewed as a free action.

6.) That's why it really should be dismissable.

7.) Yes, I'd use the standard rules for dismissing an effect, hence a standard action.

8.) Unlimited duration.

9.) Can't say. :p

Bye
Thanee

Scharlata

First Post
Hi, Thanee!

Thanx very much for your shared insight.

I agree with you on the "all-or-nothing dismissible" part, as well as the "it really should be dismissible" part, but why do you think the effect has no duration (or unlimited duration, as you put it)? What is the caster level mentioned in the description of the Protective Aura for?

Kind regards

Thanee

First Post
The caster level would be for dispelling.

I think it's permanent, because it can simply be recreated as a free action, that is quite typical for permanent abilities.

Bye
Thanee

apesamongus

First Post
I'm a bit confused on #6, because I don't see a problem.

"An immobile, faintly shimmering magical sphere surrounds you and excludes all spell effects of 3rd level or lower. The area or effect of any such spells does not include the area of the lesser globe of invulnerability. Such spells fail to affect any target located within the globe. Excluded effects include spell-like abilities and spells or spell-like effects from items. However, any type of spell can be cast through or out of the magical globe."

The word "excludes" and the phrase "can be cast through" implied to me that it merely stops effect from entering the globe, and wouldn't stop the cure spell, which would be cast through (within) the globe. But now that you mention it, I can see reading it as saying that two people outside could cast spells back and forth crossing the edge of the globe. But really, I don't see anything to make that reading the obvious correct one.

Scharlata

First Post
apesamongus said:
I'm a bit confused on #6, because I don't see a problem.

Hi!

"[...]The area or effect of any such spells does not include the area of the lesser globe of invulnerability. Such spells fail to affect any target located within the globe. [...]"

I'm interpreting this part as "any spell fails to have an effect inside the LGoI". You still can cast a spell from within the LGoI to the outside.

But most Cure spells have a range of Touch. There were no benefit in casting them. They would be wasted.

Kind regards

Scharlata

First Post
Customer Service answered

Hi!

Scharlata said:
Dear Customer Service

Protective Aura (Su) [as described in the MM, p. 10, Angel] is a powerful but yet ambiguous feature of the Angels and some other types of Upper-Plane-Critters.

As the MM states, the Protective Aura provides an AC bonus and a ST bonus to all within the area of effect. It furthermore functions like a magic circle against evil [MCaE] effect and a lesser globe of invulnerability [LGoI] effect with a radius of 20 feet with a caster level = angel's HD. The aura can be dispelled.

My questions are as follows:

1.) Is the Protective Aura mobile? [LGoI is normally immobile.]

2.) Is it possible to dismiss the MCaE part of the effect, since the spell MCaE can't be dismissed?

3.) Is it possible to dismiss the LGoI part of the effect, since the LGoI can be dismissed?

4.) If you can dismiss only one part of the effect, is it possible to dismiss both parts of the effect together, neither of both parts, only the dismissible part of the effect?

5.) How is it possible for an angel to attack a foe if the angel hasn't beat the spell resistance of the opponent (see MCaE effect)? Is it true that the angel breaks this part of the MCaE effect automatically if it corners the opponent or moves toward the foe?

6.) How could the angel possibly heal anyone in need [or use any other Touch or short range spell or spell-like ability within] if the LGoI effect is still operating and the effect weren't dismissible?

7.) If one of the parts of the effect is dismissible, how long does it take to do that? Is it a standard action as normal?

8.) The caster level of the effect is equal to the Hit Dice of the angel. How long is the duration of the effect? 10 minutes per level as per the MCaE part of the effect or 1 round per level as per the LGoI part of the effect? Do the parts have separated durations?

CustServ said:
1) Yes, as it radiates from the Angel.

2) You can dismiss the entire effect, but not parts of it..

3) See answer #2.

4) Once again the entire effect can be dismissed as a standard action, but you cannot dismiss parts of the ability.

5) The angel Walks up and attacks, and negates the effect of the MCaE against that creature.

6) By dismissing the entire ability.

7) It is a standard action to dismiss and a free action to re-engage it, but you can only re-engage on your next turn.

8) The Ability is constant once activated, it is not separated into parts.

To whom it may concern ;)

Remove ads