Proxy Mini

Fauchard1520

Adventurer
Not all of us own the complete collection of 3D-printed critters or expertly-sculpted pewter heroes. When it comes time to represent your dude on the tabletop, sometimes you've got to sub in pennies, spare dice, or Peanut M&Ms.

Therefore, in the name of commiseration, what is the best best (or worse) items you've used as a "proxy mini?"

(Comic for illustrative purposes.)

aco175

Legend
Early on we had Star Wars and GI Joe figures, but moved smaller to bingo chips and M&Ms after a few people started to get the 'official' minis. I had a set of bottle caps with numbers for monsters on them for a while, but M&Ms were good to eat after killing the monster.

Marc_C

Solitary Role Playing
Pennies, dimes and quarters to represent models.
Rectangular eraser to represent horses.

Bought Steve Jackson cardboard fantasy heroes standees as soon as I could.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Besides a HUGE collection of metal & plastic minis, cardboard pieces and Steve Jackson standees, I’ve used dice, checkers, tiddlywinks, glass planter/game beads, jelly beans and other things. My favorite, though, happened because of a scrivener’s error.

Since I’m usually the host on game night, I’m usually the game piece supplier for several of the other players & GMs. One of the guys in our group was playing a stereotypical human paladin in heavy armor with a sword & shield in a 3.5Ed game. On his character’s sheet, he described the paladin as 6’5” tall and 135lbs. So I gave him a needle which I had stuck into a cork.

As hilarious as we ALL found this, it actually was kind of inspirational. In a subsequent 4Ed campaign, I played a Starlock/Psion who had all kinds of ephemeral effects I had to track- some spells, some little “motes” and even some summoned/created entities. Unlike a similarly designed 3.5Ed PC, there were no variations in what was created. So instead of using dice, etc., I used the same needle & cork idea. However, I pushed the needles through different, distinctive beads, then into hard styrofoam craft plugs so I could tell them apart.

So for one spell that created twinkling motes of force, each mote was represented by a needle covered by tiny, faceted clear and icy blue beads which sparkled. For another effect, the beads were larger and red. And so forth.

Last edited:

dogoftheunderworld

Adventurer
Supporter
I've used coins, dice, candy, etc. Now that my actual miniature selection is pretty good, I almost always proxy a mini with another mini :) But now I have switched to proxy terrain :) Catan cards for terrain/maps. I've used school project diorama's for set pieces. My daughter made 2" mini pies, so I used an actual pie and ran Orc & Pie :)

Now my youngest is going off to college and wanting to DM a group, so I am teaching her the fine art of using coins, dice, & candy :) (And some Theatre of the Mind tips too :) )

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Lots of the Schleich models work great for stand in minis and sometimes are actually the very thing you want, just at a different size!

Worst...that's harder to say. Bottles of Water for Giants??
I have a few of those Schleichs and toys from similar companies. The Arthropods snd things like the giant squid are PERFECT for FRPGs.

Voadam

Legend
Worst would be torn up scraps of paper.

I've used dice, various numbers side up to keep track of the minions.

I used legos which work well.

I created individualized paper counters based off of internet pictures.

Remove ads