D&D 5E Psi Knight ability question.

ManBagel

Messing up everything in DnD since 2019
Telekinetic Movement
You can move an object or a creature with your mind. As an action you can target one was object as large or smaller or one willing creature other than yourself if you can see the target and it is within 30 feet of you you can move it up to 30 feet away to an on occupied space you can see. Alternatively, if it is a tiny object you can move it to or from your hand either way you can move the target horizontally, vertically, or both once you use your actions and you can’t do so again until you finish a short or long rest unless you spend a Psionic Die to take it again.

Are there any weapons that count as tiny objects? Dagger? Rapier? This is from Tasha’s Cauldron of Everything’s Psi Knight Fighter subclass. Mostly asking since I am wondering if your able to pull off what Thor did in Ragnarok or Luke Skywalker in Starwars.

Most weapons are tiny. Pulling your weapon into your hand is very much an intended use of this ability. Psi Knight is, by design, the jedi class.

I would probably rule that any weapon that does not have the "heavy" property is eligible.

Alternatively, do it by weight - anything less than 10 lb (weight limit for mage hand) is tiny.

Last edited:

According to the DMG (page 247), these are the examples of objects of different sizes:
Tiny (bottle, lock)
Small (chest, lute)
Medium (barrel, chandelier)
Large (cart, 10’ x 10’ window)

Yeah, I think it was a poor design choice to use size categories rather than weights to put a limit on this power. Technically an object is tiny if "it controls a 2.5 ft. x 2.5 square or less".

Now, you could interpret that as objects that are greater than 2.5 ft. in any dimension are not tiny - which might explain the lute. Which would rule out the rapier (41 - 51 inches according to wiki). However, if you put the rapier diagonally across the square it could accommodate a rapier of up to 42 inches. If you extend that to three dimensions, if you stood a weapon vertically in the square, it could even accommodate a pike!

Remove ads