D&D 3E/3.5 Psi - Mental Leap in 3.5

Jovah

First Post
Has anyone used/converted a Psi character with the
Mental Leap feat to 3.5?
The feat says that you double the distance rolled on the Jump check.
Jump in 3.5 is different - and easier to jump farther.
A 10 roll was 5 ft now is 10ft.

Are you just doubling the distance still?
a roll of a 20 on 3.5 jump gives you 20 ft so a Mental Leaper
gives you 40 ft?

has anyone played one? Issues-Suggestions?

Camarath

Pale Master Tarrasque
DreamChaser said:
yeah. I figure, it still counts as movement and so what if it ends up looking all wuxia; all the better in my opinion.

DC
From SRD
Mental Leap [Psionic]
Prerequisite: Str 13+, 6 ranks of the Jump skill, reserve power points 3+.
Benefit: The character jumps twice as far or as high as is indicated on his or her Jump check. The character’s maximum jump (a function of his or her height) is twice normal, and extra distance jumped (above and beyond the normal distance rolled) is not counted against the character’s total allowed movement in the round.
Special: A character can take this feat multiple times. Each time increases his or her jump multiple by one and increases the prerequisite of reserve power points by +8.

That is the best part about the feat IMO, that you can use it to move faster than your normal movement would allow.

I have not used this feat in 3.5. But it should still work the same mechanically with the new jump as it did with the old jump (i.e. jump distance x2 or 1+ the number of times you took the feat). This is definitely an increase in power but doesn't look anything close to game breaking to me.

Jovah

First Post
Had not noticed that.
Very nice - especialy if you add Speed of Thought +10 move
This adds to you jump roll and you max move.

And 3.5 Jump (running-long) is NOT limited by your height.

jumping is not the "end all" but it makes my Jedi Knight idea
more viable.

Thanx

Viktyr Gehrig

First Post
Zhure said:

}scratches head{

Compare ECL +2 for the Psionic Thri-Kreen's powers against two extra hit dice and two more levels of extra psionic powers.

In the case of the Psychic Warrior, you're even getting more bonus feats.

Psionic Thri-Kreen just isn't worth the extra levels.

Spatula

Explorer
Zhure said:
}scratches head{
There are two varieties of thri-kreen, those with innate psionic powers and those without.

So... Thri-kreen get +30 racial bonus to Jump checks, base speed of 40 gives another +4, you need 6 ranks in the skill before you can take the Mental Leap feat, giving a minimum bonus of +40, before Strength or other considerations. Throw in Speed of Thought (+10 speed, another +4 to Jump) and an 18 Strength (+4), and you've got a psychic warrior that can jump an average of 58 feet horizontally without a running start, only half of which (29 feet) counts against the character's movement for the round.

Remove ads