D&D 5E Psion -> Sorc Subclass instead of Wizard

Stalker0

Legend
While I like some of the flavor of the recent Psionics UA (and I personally don't think we have to have psion as its own class), I do think the psion fits much better as a sorcerer than it does wizard. There is just better flavor and mechanical overlap on the Sorc chassis. So putting my money where my mouth is, here is how I would take some of the concepts from the UA...and fit them in as a Sorc subclass in a similar vein to clerical spells with the divine soul.

Psion - Sorc subclass
While many sorcerers channel power within their body, your power comes from a mind awakened to the heart of reality.

1st level - Mind over Matter: The DC for your Sorcerer spells equals 8 + Prof Bonus + Intelligence Bonus

1st level - Psionics: When gaining a new sorcerer spell or cantrip, you may choose any psionic spell instead (psionic spells are defined as the new spells in the UA article). When you cast a spell from this list, it requires no verbal, somatic, or material components, unless the component has a gold cost. You also gain one psionic spell that does not count against your list of known sorc spells. If this spell is later replaced, it must be replaced from a spell from the psionic list.

6th level - Thought Form: Works just like the UA article.

14th level - Thought Travel: Just as UA article (note that this is both less common than the Divine Soul's angelic form, but more powerful due to the ability to walk through walls and objects.

18th level - Refreshed Mind: When you enter Thought Form, you may regain 3 sorcery points. You may use this ability again after a long rest.

So ultimately this is a simpler version of the article's psion because the sorceror already takes care of a lot of it. Metamagic can already account for various adjustments to spells as needed. So now we have an Int based Sorc that gets psionic spells, with the cool thought form ability but doesn't require any of the UA wizard baggage. Clean and simple, a sorc that can use arcane and psionic energy...or go all the way and do nothing but psionics.

Gadget

Adventurer
I believe they already did a "psionic" Sorcerer subclass in UA a month or so ago, though it was more far-realm, tentacle themed in flavor. I believe it was called the Aberrant Mind Sorcerer? I at first felt as you do, but having CHA as a casting stat (or changing the stat for one sub-class) is a bit awkward. Admittedly, with the wizard subclass having a spell book, it can hardly point fingers, but I like the INT based studious take, and some of the features are really nice.

Ashrym

Legend
I believe they already did a "psionic" Sorcerer subclass in UA a month or so ago, though it was more far-realm, tentacle themed in flavor. I believe it was called the Aberrant Mind Sorcerer? I at first felt as you do, but having CHA as a casting stat (or changing the stat for one sub-class) is a bit awkward. Admittedly, with the wizard subclass having a spell book, it can hardly point fingers, but I like the INT based studious take, and some of the features are really nice.

WotC did and I like it.

CHA driving magic for most arcane spell casters means it wouldn't be any different for psionics. WIS was more typically representative of willpower while CHA force of personality. INT is figuring things out and memory. The power of reasoning seems less likely of a caster stat.

Neither the aberrant mind (sorcerer) nor the mentalist (wizard) is meant to replace or represent a stand alone psionic class. I think the point of the OP is that if a standalone class is never published, the sorcerer is the best alternative to building a subclass meant to be that typical psion. It can also coexist with the aberrant mind.

Remove ads