D&D 5E Psionics in Tasha

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Your answer doesn't answer the question. Where does the book say that wizard and cleric's spells are the same in the fiction, as opposed to using the same mechanics as a useful short hand?

I didn't say the spells are exactly the same. I said the prime source and interface of spells are the same.

How

A cleric1/druid1/wizard1/sorcerer1 spell slots merge now into a 4th level spellcaster.

Must Minigiant explain how spells work?

D&D spellcasting runs on the "Language of the universe" aka True Names.

Anything you say in the Language just happens.

The problem is the Universe hates when you speak the language.
Only gods, beings with a divine portfolio, can say the language unfettered.

When Jane the Cleric prays to her god for the daylight, her god can say "Jane can cast daylight".
Now the entire universe warps around Jane and she can use spell slots to cast daylight.

Wizards don't have a god speaking True Names for them. They must say it themselves. Unfortunately they are mortal an can't.
So wizards get around it by speaking several bastardized dialects of True Names.
Hocus Pocus is a drunken cockney true names.
Somatic gestures is True name sign language.
And for some reason the universe associates fire with bat poo so you must display it.

The last method is to be magical. By having magic into, you can subsitute your body, bones, and blood for the words you can't say but must.
Because Luke the sorcerer's great grandpappy was a fire dragon, he doesn't have to speak the "5 times ran through Google" word for fire when casting fireball.
Right. So just like you have developed your own super rigid headcanon about what psionics is you have done the same with magic. Seems like a 'you problem'.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Right. So just like you have developed your own super rigid headcanon about what psionics is you have done the same with magic. Seems like a 'you problem'.

Never said it wasn't. :)
I like my hard magic systems consistent.
Others can avoid thinking about it and play their nonsensical systems where up means left and bloodlines and contracts are the same.

I like my hard magic systems consistent.
Me too. I think about this stuff a lot. And I arrived to different conclusions than you. And neither of us is even right or wrong, because this stuff isn't real.

Others can avoid thinking about it and play their nonsensical systems where up means left and bloodlines and contracts are the same.
Thinking about the magical metaphysics lead me to conclusion that warlocks and sorcerers should be the same. The important part is that you're imbued with magic, not how it happened.

Exactly.
So if there is even one psionic spell on the wizard list, a wizard can write down psionics.

litterally scribbling down Jedi powers and the Man in Yellow at no penalty. That's too much for Minigiant.
I really don't think it is any weirder than them being able to copy priestly prayers in their spellbook and have them work just fine. Which, I admit, is weird. I'd be perfectly ok if wizards could only copy scrolls made by other wizards. But it is understandable that the default rules don't have such a limitation as they don't want to have to specify the source of every scroll.

Remove ads