Psionics Question

Juan Sierra

First Post
Hello,

I have a question about Psionic exploits and PSI point cost.

The WRRD has Psionic exploits that get stronger the better the character's PSI score. There is no active boost mechanic, it just gets stronger the stronger your character is.

The PDF/Print version of NEW has Psionic exploits that can be boosted by spending PP ontop of the normal cost to "cast" the psionic action. The powers do not get stronger based on your PSI score.

I'm not sure which one is correct (or at least more recent). The innate buildup seems to make more sense given that we roll for PP now (PSI + WIL), so the PP are a more limited resource (WRRD and errata). The active spend PP to boost seems to go with the PP = 10*PSI, which is what the print/PDF rules say.

What is the current intended rule for Psionic exploit power: passive and grows with PSI, or active and you spend PP?

Thanks in advance!

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
The book + errata is correct. The WRRD needs updating in a few places. I’ll get it done eventually, but some books have priority on my schedule right now. :)

Juan Sierra

First Post
Follow on question. For powers that have the format:

Requires PSI 4. Your natural precognition gives you a +1d6 per 4 PP bonus to INITIATIVE checks as well as checks to access the ambush turn.

Does this mean the base power costs 4PP, but does nothing unless you add 4 more PP?

Or does the base 4PP cost grant +1d6, and additional 4 PP ontop of the base cost grant an additional +1d6?

What about if the base cost were say 8 PP, but the power is still boost per 4 PP?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
The latter. I can't see now you'd read it as the former. :)

+1d6 per 4PP.

If the base cost were 8PP then you'd get +2d6 for your 8PP. The base cost in this instance really only serves as a minimum power investment.

Juan Sierra

First Post
Just checking. I thought it was. The main reason I was confused was that it means the effective minimum PSI score for some powers is (base + 1 boost), since you can't spend more PP per round than your score, and you'd need to pay base plus at least one boost to do anything.

Remove ads