[Psionics] Wotc's red headed step child

Teflon Billy

Explorer
Grazzt said:
...I dont really think they belong in straight-up/core/main/whatever-you-want-to-call-it D&D. Gygax said he wished he'd never put them in the 1e PHB and I tend to agree with him. Not that they are bad or don't belong in a fantasy setting (Dark Sun made them work), just not in the core books.

Just me though perhaps...

Nope, not just you. You summed up my thoughts nicely.

Ahrimon

Bourbon and Dice
I think of psionics as just another form of magic. Just think of it as mental magic. Wizards study hard and learn structured ways to bend the forces of magic around them, Sorceres have an inate gift to bend the forces of magic around them and Psions learn how to channel magic through themselves to make things happen. (In a nutshell anyway)

What I don't like is the psionic combat system. I think it sucks. Get rid of it all together.

What I do like is the power point system. I think it's great. I would love it if they would just dump the FaF system and go with a point system. Mostly because I like the flexibility. If there was a socerer like class that I could use a point system with as well as some of the psionic feats I would be in heaven.

Ahrimon

Buttercup

Princess of Florin
I'll have to agree with Grazzt and Billy on this. I don't think psionics should be core, since they don't fit in many settings. Myself, I've never found a reason to use them.

Dinkeldog

Sniper o' the Shrouds
I consider psionics to be core, they just don't fit in the core rule book. Looking at the PHB, there's nothing I'd try to take out 100 pages of to try to get the psionics system in.

As for the 3.5 books, I'd like to see the combat system changed to the Mindscapes system, but at least an overhaul of combat. There are other nitpicky "like to see" changes, but the combat system is a must for me. Of course if it doesn't change, I'll just keep using Mindscapes.

Psiblade

First Post
I definitely enjoy 3.0 psionics, but it takes the mind's eye or ITCK stuff to put it on the same power level as regular classes. I definitely use psionics as core. IMHO it is hard to run an OA / Indian campaign without them.

I would agree with what Psion said that I would rather have an entire handbook devoted to psionics rather than just an appendix in the main books.

-Psiblade

Remove ads