Psion's Psi crystal -- must this be purchased?

Nagual

First Post
Stewpud question...:blush: Must a Psion purchase the Psicrystral Affinity feat in order to obtain a psicrystal? Or is it freely available as a class feature?

Nagual

First Post
Although not obvious from the rulebook, I have seen reference to the crystal as a class feature in the Mind's Eye articles. I knew it was a stupid question...

Corsair

First Post
Yes you need the feat.

Quote from the psion description in the SRD: "A psicrystal is a fragment of a psionic character’s personality, brought into physical form and a semblance of life (via the Psicrystal Affinity feat)."

Jhaelen

First Post
Although not obvious from the rulebook, I have seen reference to the crystal as a class feature in the Mind's Eye articles. I knew it was a stupid question...
That's most likely an artifact of the previous incarnation of the articles: They were initially released for the 3.0 version of the Psion which indeed gained the feat at first level.

In 3.5 this was changed to a bonus feat, giving psions the choice to get something else if they didn't care for a psicrystal.

Bacris

First Post
In 3.0 (Psionics Handbook), psicrystal was a class feature, not a feat. As such, it was always expected of a psion to have one - it came with the class, much like a familiar for wizards.

In 3.5 (Expanded Psionics Handbook), psicrystal became a feat, and psions got a bonus feat at first level, which many use to pick Psicrystal Affinity, but they do NOT get it for free.

Unfortunately, much psionic material was written for the 3.0 version of psicrystals, causing the continued confusion.

Remove ads