[Ptolus] The Power Level of NPCs

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Well, I think it may turn out that Monte has some (apparently) unspoken assumptions about what the typical point buy for a Ptolus game should be. I don't recall it being discussed in the Player's Guide.

Having said that, I'm not sure this matters for the most part. NPC classes weaken many of the cited characters.

mmu1

First Post
Whizbang Dustyboots said:
Well, I think it may turn out that Monte has some (apparently) unspoken assumptions about what the typical point buy for a Ptolus game should be. I don't recall it being discussed in the Player's Guide.

Having said that, I'm not sure this matters for the most part. NPC classes weaken many of the cited characters.

*shrug* I know some people for whom it wouldn't matter, in particular after they gained a few levels, and I know some people (myself included) who'd be irritated to no end (when playing a game of heroic fantasy) and wouldn't enjoy the world as much if they constantly kept tripping over minor NPCs who had more raw ability (not power or experience, just ability) then their characters.

I'm also not a huge fan of high-end NPCs with stats quite as god-like as some of the ones in Ptolus, but that's an issue a lot less likely to come up in most games.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I can't imagine a scenario in which I, as DM, would ever let my players know what the WIS of a given city guard is. If, as DM, this offends you, start chopping their stats down. It won't matter 99 percent of the time anyway.

mmu1

First Post
I can't imagine a scenario in which I, as DM, would ever let my players know what the WIS of a given city guard is. If, as DM, this offends you, start chopping their stats down. It won't matter 99 percent of the time anyway.

Not advertently... And when it comes to city guards, something like their Wisdom score would be hard to figure out. (especially since the average PC is unlikely to oppose them very often)

On the other hand, when it comes to typical humanoid combatants and casters, after a few fights against the same type of enemy (or one fight with several of the same type) the DM might as well put up a sign listing what their physical stats are, as well as those stats that determine their spells per level and save DCs.

That's assuming the DM doesn't roll in the open, as some do - at that point, it really becomes trivial.

I think I'd generally rather not know, but after playing D&D for six years, it barely takes conscious effort a lot of the time.

mythusmage

Banned
Banned
In a city like Ptolus I should hope people are above average. The place is dangerous. When you see demons grocery shopping on a daily basis you learn things.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
mythusmage said:
In a city like Ptolus I should hope people are above average. The place is dangerous. When you see demons grocery shopping on a daily basis you learn things.
And Lothian help you if you're in line ahead of one with 11 items in the 10 items or less line ...

TheGM

First Post

I agree. One of the purposes of the DM is to ensure that the PCs are adequately challenged... So where's the problem?

Don.

satori01

First Post
City Watch Stats: Warrior 2
Str 15 Dex 12 Con 16 Int 12 Wis 11 Cha 11

Commissars' Man (Elite Military) Fighter 3
Str 14 Dex 15 Con 16 Int 10 Wis 10 Cha 10

So a Ptolus City watch man is stronger, and hardier than the average, a little bit smarter as well, and pretty much average in everything else.

Being a guard in a city where anyone can go around armed, monsters live under the city, and the biggest civil problems are rampant hordes of Undead in the Cemetary, and Chaos Cults everywhere is a tough job.

I've seen players with City guard stats all the time, hell most of the time a 17 is mixed in there as well. To my knowledge as well I do not think Monte uses point buy, I think he uses the 4d6 method for player creation, which will yield more powerful and rounded scores, than point buy, which generally seems to yield really high primary ability scores and 8's in anything not essential.

Remove ads