D&D General Published adventure to kick-off a Neverwinter Campaign (4e setting)

Hi all

I am currently contemplating running a Neverwinter campaign based on the fantastic 4e setting book. Though it would be sandboxy by nature, I am looking for a published adventure to kick-off the campaign and have PCs meet. I am not aware of any published adventure (any edition) that would fill this slot, but any thoughts on one that could be easily reskinned for that purpose?

You can use Adventure Lookup to find others.

What I have done, however is using the various AL and encounters and Dungeon Magazine adventures from 4E to patch a Neverwinter campaign together. One of the major advantages is that the adventures are relatively short and modifiable, and almost all tie in to the Neverwinter Campaign Setting (4E). Since I'm using them with 5E, I can set the level for myself.

I started out with Gates of Neverdeath and Lost Crown of Neverwinter and build on from there with Gauntlgrym Gambit, and the Living Forgotten Realms (LFR) Devil's Play series. Also, I made heavy use of the LFR adaptations of said adventures and other adventures from Duungeon Magazine (That Which Never Sleeps and Shards of Selune).

Edit: Combine with Lost Mines of Phandelver and Dragon of Icespire Peak and its sequals, and you have quite a sandbox.

Edit edit: Also, there's a great Let's Read of the setting over at rpg.net: 📖 Let's Read! - Let's Read the Neverwinter Campaign Setting! | Dungeons & Dragons / Fantasy D20 Spotlight

Last edited:

aco175

Legend
You might be able to take several elements from Keep on the Shadowfell (KotS) and use them. It is 4e ready and broken into sections that are bite sized. For instance, one of the first parts uses kobolds and the lair behind the waterfall. That might be all you need from a published book to get you going, or take more parts. Even the main part of the adventure could be placed in the city's ruined section and be explained.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
When I did my Lost Mines of Phandelver / Dragon of Icespire Peak game for 5E, I incorporated a lot of material from the Neverwinter Campaign Setting into filling out the area. All three products basically overlap so far as location is concerned so you end up with a very large and wonderful adventure space to build and play. The southern Neverwinter Wood, the northern Sword Mountains, Helm's Hold, the Triboar Trail, the Mere of Dead Men, the village of Phandalin and the city of Neverwinter.

The Lost Mines adventure starts at 1st level with the party acting as bodyguards for a delivery wagon traveling from Neverwinter to Phandalin and then expands from there. That adventure would take you from levels 1 to 5 and then you could move into Neverwinter CS adventures proper. You can get the Lost Mines adventure for free currently on D&D Beyond.

Your other option of course also being that you buy the new large-scale adventure book Phandelver and Below: The Shattered Obelisk when it comes out mid-September which as far as I'm aware takes place in the self-same location (and thus could be supported and expanded upon using the NCS. Any of these options would probably do for you wonderfully.

Thanks for these suggestions. I must confess I just discovered Adventure Lookup through your posts. Linking LMoP is something worth investigating, but given the strong character themes in Neverwinter 4e, I was thinking of a stronger intro than "were are hired on the same errand". Probably will depend on what themes my players actually choose for their characters though!

Remove ads