• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pulling an unconscious ally out of combat

Infiniti2000

First Post
carborundum said:
A party member immediately pulled his unconsciuos form out of the way and I felt that the beast would happily take the opportunity to grab his prey (AoO bite) and pull it back to him for dinner.
A normal raptor does not have improved grab, but the implication I get from your comment here is that this one does. Note, however, that a creature cannot use improved grab on an AoO.

mvincent, note that you are only showing that dragging someone doesn't require you to step into their square. This is significantly different than picking someone up. Either one has different repercussions.

mvincent

Explorer
Infiniti2000 said:
mvincent, note that you are only showing that dragging someone doesn't require you to step into their square.
Well, at least we can both agree that you could drag someone into your square, then pick them up :)

This is significantly different than picking someone up.
Howso? I mean, it's pretty clear that you can grab things not in your own square, and it seems the writer's intended one to be able to manipulate objects* not in their own square (again: sometimes this is the only way to do so).

* move a heavy object, open a door, push over a heavy column or statue, etc.

Infiniti2000

First Post
The rules aren't clear, but there could be a different speed associated with each. Also, while dragging, the body would not be "carried" and thus various spells might function differently (and that is arguable since the creature is still alive, many would not call it a possession).

Not to mention dragging your comrade through all that glass on the floor. :p

Remove ads