D&D 5E Purple Dragon Knight = Warlord?

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
I was going to do this thread with this title!

FYI- Purple Dragon mechanics...

Main feature - 2nd wind also heals 3 allies fighter level each
- pesuasion expertise
- action surge also gives additional attack to ally
- indomitable for allies

My thoughts...
-I like the indomitable for allies since I think this is one area where the "warlord" could give advice, holler a warning out, etc. and it doesn't step on the toes of him doing the character's job better than them...

-The healing is a small amount, curious to see how they fluffed it but I never had a problem with the martial healing aspect

-It's still a subclass and part of a larger archetype which is exactly what I feel the 5e "warlord" should be... (nearly all heroes inspire, give advice, help, etc... their comrades at some point in time when this trope is used) so I'm cool there as well.

The real question is will this be enough for the 4e die-hards and extreme proponents for a 5e warlord...

This a warlord. Maybe a (own)combat oriented, but a warlord.

Remathilis

Legend
How is it difficult or costly? Limited sure, but i don't see any trade-off, besides the subclass.

You heal 3 creatures (and yourself) as a bonus action. 1/short rest.
Situational would be a better description. A small amount of hp (=lvl), once per rest, to everyone* or no one. It barely eeks out the power of a first level spell. It certainly isn't enough to match a paladin, let alone a caster.

On the plus side, it IS a conceptual win; on the other hand it seems they don't want martial healing to match a cleric or paladin in potency. Also, with pdk, mastermind, battlemaster and valor bard, there is probably 0% chance of an official warlord class ever coming.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
Hopefully some of the others, especially those claiming it could never be a fighter subclass, agree.

That may be a lot to ask for. They where not going to go full AEDU with all those powers. In 5E, thats a spell-caster. (or a 3rd party product). But those particular mechanics--I do this (for me), you also get that--feel very 4E, especially 4E leader.

I was going to do this thread with this title!

This a warlord. Maybe a (own)combat oriented, but a warlord.

I came here to make this thread as well...
Main feature - 2nd wind also heals 3 allies fighter level each
- pesuasion expertise
- action surge also gives additional attack to ally
- indomitable for allies

I will say it isn't a warlord, it's part of the ongoing chopping up of warlord and handing it to others...

mellored

Legend
The real question is will this be enough for the 4e die-hards and extreme proponents for a 5e warlord...
Probably not because...

-It's still a subclass and part of a larger archetype which is exactly what I feel the 5e "warlord" should be...
It's not that the features are bad, it's that you don't have enough of them. And you can't have enough of them as long as you have multi-attack.

PDK (and battlemaster) is still first and foremost a fighter who multi-attacks, not support.
Same way an eldrich knight isn't a wizard. You can cast spells, but not enough.

Though having official support for inspirational HP does cut deep into the heart of a debate.

mellored

Legend
Hopefully some of the others, especially those claiming it could never be a fighter subclass, agree.
The only way a warlord could be a fighter sub-class is if you could trade your own attacks for buffs.

Something like...
"Any time you would make an attack, including multi-attack and opportunity attacks, you can instead perform one of these support actions."

Otherwise, you there isn't room.

Remove ads