Quest Rewards for Larger Parties

themind

Explorer
I have a group of 9 players and I am having a hard time trying to figure out payment for completing a quest/mission for someone. I would do treasure parcels, but it just doesn't feel like it should be enough for such a large party. Has anyone figured out a way to take care of their larger groups, or any suggestions that may be of help?

Thanks

1of3

Explorer
There are suggestions for changing the number of treasure parcels on DMG 125. They only give a table for up to eight players, but according to the text you should just add another parcel.

Or did you have problem with these rules?

themind

Explorer
Well the rules in the DMG mention adding Magic items of a certain level for more players. Should I just take how much the item of said level is and give that to them as a reward?

csuaso

First Post
I have a group of 9 players and I am having a hard time trying to figure out payment for completing a quest/mission for someone. I would do treasure parcels, but it just doesn't feel like it should be enough for such a large party. Has anyone figured out a way to take care of their larger groups, or any suggestions that may be of help?

Thanks

You don't have to give everyone something when a task is accomplished. The treasure or reward is what it is and will go as far as it goes. Give them a set amount of treasure based on what the quest was and let them divvy it out between themselves. I have gone through many quest completions without receiving a piece of treasure, just the experience points. Sometimes there is only enough gold to replenish party funds. Fulfill everyone's "wants" and it will make the game boring and unfulfilled.

Tovec

Explorer
You don't have to give everyone something when a task is accomplished. The treasure or reward is what it is and will go as far as it goes. Give them a set amount of treasure based on what the quest was and let them divvy it out between themselves. I have gone through many quest completions without receiving a piece of treasure, just the experience points. Sometimes there is only enough gold to replenish party funds. Fulfill everyone's "wants" and it will make the game boring and unfulfilled.

First, this is from 2009 so I don't think the question in the OP is really relevant anymore - I'm sure they've solved the problem or given up a long time ago. Way to necro though.

As far as your advice, I don't entirely agree. No one likes to be stiffed on a job well done. There are numerous solutions; ranging from increasing the loot and letting the party figure out it, keeping it the same, calculating per person, and others I'm sure that were already raised and can be suggested. I don't think the answer is necessarily 'don't pay them, because somebody on the internet was happy just getting XP' especially since I know many many many games that do not use XP at all. Nor can it be boiled down to the sense of entitlement you perceived either - they are getting paid for their services, it isn't about them "wanting" it is about them "deserving" it.

csuaso

First Post
First, this is from 2009 so I don't think the question in the OP is really relevant anymore - I'm sure they've solved the problem or given up a long time ago. Way to necro though.

As far as your advice, I don't entirely agree. No one likes to be stiffed on a job well done. There are numerous solutions; ranging from increasing the loot and letting the party figure out it, keeping it the same, calculating per person, and others I'm sure that were already raised and can be suggested. I don't think the answer is necessarily 'don't pay them, because somebody on the internet was happy just getting XP' especially since I know many many many games that do not use XP at all. Nor can it be boiled down to the sense of entitlement you perceived either - they are getting paid for their services, it isn't about them "wanting" it is about them "deserving" it.

Ah, you digress into feelings and self made delusion, how comforting for you to make such assumptions. Wow. The letters in red were never said by me nor perceived but thanks for setting me on the straight and narrow. Just trying to help guide the bases on which one thinks about games. In the end you are the DM and can do whatever your heart desires. As such, you need no advise from anyone and none would help anyway. Have fun playing.

Tovec

Explorer
Ah, you digress into feelings and self made delusion, how comforting for you to make such assumptions. Wow. The letters in red were never said by me nor perceived but thanks for setting me on the straight and narrow. Just trying to help guide the bases on which one thinks about games. In the end you are the DM and can do whatever your heart desires. As such, you need no advise from anyone and none would help anyway. Have fun playing.
I was only replying to what you wrote, and the inference of those words.

So, the relevant parts you made red were:

'don't pay them, because somebody on the internet was happy just getting XP'
So ^^ this was replying to..
I have gone through many quest completions without receiving a piece of treasure, just the experience points.
You kind of did. You were happy to not be compensated at quest completion because you received XP. Therefore others should be is the logical inference - especially based on the singular focus you had in your first reply. You seemed to outline that he shouldn't try to compensate all the players, and that they should be happy enough with just XP - as you were.

And..

Nor can it be boiled down to the sense of entitlement you perceived either - they are getting paid for their services, it isn't about them "wanting" it is about them "deserving" it.
(Left in the rest of the sentence too, kind of important.)
Was for..
Fulfill everyone's "wants" and it will make the game boring and unfulfilled.

What was your objection here? That I am somehow putting words in your mouth? Granted you didn't say 'entitlement' but generally speaking when I see an argument which goes something like 'don't fulfill their wants because it will be bad' it usually has to do with thinking they are only wanting these things because of entitlement. I made a bit of a jump but not a huge one based on my prior experience here. If the 'entitlement' part is your objection then that is fair. But when you include the rest of the comment (wanting and deserving) then you see that is not the only thing I am saying.

So, in that regard, reasons (why do you think it is bad, not just that you do think it is bad) do you have that fulfilling wants is bad, and how are they different from deserved (rewards?) compensation?

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
Give the characters five magic items and let them fight to the death for them.

Then you will have a manageable number of players. :angel:

Edit: 2009? Never mind.

the Jester

Legend
I've taken to using boons a lot in my 4e game. But what I've done is to make a list of ten or twelve cool boons of the same level from the same source and then let each pc choose one (or, most recently, two) upon completing a major quest for that source. Here's an example.

My Notes said:
If the pcs manage to free the Final Phoenix, they each receive two boons from it; if they succeed at leaving Fray's amulet around its neck, each of them receives two boons from Maltar.

Phoenix Boons

BRILLIANT HALO --- Level 26 Rare
With a thought, you shed brilliant light.
Lvl 26 --- 1,125,000 gp
Divine Boon

Power (At Will): Minor action. Effect: You glow with brilliant light for an hour or until you spend a minor action to deactivate this ability. You shed bright light in a 20 square radius and dim light for 10 squares beyond. While you glow, non-blind creatures have a -1 penalty on melee attacks against you, and any creature with vulnerable radiant that ends its turn adjacent to you takes 0 radiant damage.

BURNING AURA --- Level 26 Rare
You burn with a halo of fire.
Lvl 26 --- 1,125,000 gp
Divine Boon
Power (Encounter * Fire):
Standard action. Each adjacent enemy takes 10 fire damage. In addition, until the end of your next turn, you gain an aura 2. Any enemy that enters or ends its turn in the aura takes 10 fire damage once per round. Sustain minor: The aura persists until the end of your next turn.

FLAMING FLIGHT --- Level 26 Rare
Suddenly, flames envelop you, carrying you through the air.
Lvl 26 --- 1,125,000 gp
Divine Boon
Move action. You fly 10 squares. If you are not on the ground at the end of this flight, you fall. In addition, either each creature adjacent to your starting space or each creature adjacent to your ending space takes 20 fire damage.

HEALING AURA --- Level 26 Rare
A brilliant aura of healing energy springs into being around you.
Lvl 26 --- 1,125,000 gp
Divine Boon
Power (Daily * Healing):
Minor action. You gain an aura 4 that lasts until the end of your next turn. Each time an ally starts its turn in the aura, it regains 10 hit points. Sustain minor: The aura persists until the end of your next turn.

HEROIC SACRIFICE --- Level 26 Rare
Suddenly, flames envelop you, carrying you through the air.
Lvl 26 --- 1,125,000 gp
Divine Boon
Power (Encounter * Healing):
Immediate Interrupt. Trigger: An ally within 3 squares is hit by an attack that does not hit you. Effect: You shift to the triggering ally's space and slide that ally 5 squares to a space at least 3 squares from its starting space. The triggering attack hits you instead of the ally. You may spend a healing surge and apply the resulting healing either to yourself or to the triggering ally, and you may apply the damage from the triggering attack first if you wish.

RISE FROM THE ASHES --- Level 26 Rare
Death is not the end.
Lvl 26 --- 1,125,000 gp
Divine Boon
Power (Daily):
Trigger: You die. Effect (No Action; Reaction): You return to life at full hit points and stand up as a free action. If you had at least one healing surge remaining, you lose a healing surge.

RESTORATIVE TOUCH --- Level 26 Rare
Your touch offers surcease from a variety of ills.
Lvl 26 --- 1,125,000 gp
Divine Boon
Power (Daily):
Minor action. Effect: You touch one creature within your melee touch range. All conditions and effects of your choice on that target end and the target gains temporary hit points equal to your Wisdom, Constitution or Charisma score.

RIGHTEOUSNESS --- Level 26 Rare
The Final Phoenix gives you extra power to strike down evil.
Lvl 26 --- 1,125,000 gp
Divine Boon
Property:
You gain a +2 bonus to attack rolls against evil creatures.

STORM OF THE PHOENIX --- Level 26 Rare
You burn with a halo of fire.
Lvl 26 --- 1,125,000 gp
Divine Boon
Power (Daily * Fire, Radiant):
Standard action. Attack: Area burst 2 within 10 squares (each creature in burst); Intelligence, Wisdom or Charisma + 10 vs. Reflex. Hit: 6d10+5 fire and radiant damage.

TORCH OF VILLAINY --- Level 26 Rare
At your gesture, an enemy burst into flame like a torch, igniting other evildoers near it.
Lvl 26 --- 1,125,000 gp
Divine Boon
Standard action. Effect: One creature within 10 squares gains ongoing 15 fire damage (save ends). Aftereffect: Ongoing 10 fire damage (save ends). In addition, at the start of each of the target's turns, any evil adjacent creatures gain ongoing 10 fire damage (save ends).

Maltar's Boons

ASSASSIN'S COUP --- Level 26 Rare
With the skill of a practiced assassin, you deliver a finishing blow to the target.
Lvl 26 --- 1,125,000 gp
Divine Boon
Property:
Whenever you reduce an enemy to 20 hit points or less with a melee attack, you instead reduce that enemy to 0 hit points.

DARING TELEPORTATION --- Level 26 Rare
You risk an uncontrolled teleport.
Lvl 26 --- 1,125,000 gp
Divine Boon
Power (Daily):
Minor action. Effect: Until the end of your next turn, you do not need line of sight to teleport. If you teleport into an occupied space, you are ejected to the nearest unoccupied space, taking 6d10 damage in the process. Sustain minor: The effect persists until the end of your next turn.

DIABOLIC AID --- Level 26 Rare
At your command, a quartet of diabolic soldiers appear to aid you.
Lvl 26 --- 1,125,000 gp
Divine Boon
Power (Daily * Summoning):
Standard action. Effect: You summon 4 legion devil spearmen to aid you; they remain until the end of the encounter. Each is a level 26 minion soldier, has resist 15 fire, AC 42, other defenses 38, speed 6 and threatening reach. You can spend a minor action to have each one or more of the minions, up to all of them, walk, run, crawl, stand up, climb or drop prone (each can take a different action). You can also spend a standard action to have one or more of the minions, up to all of them, each make a basic attack: Melee 2 (one creature); +31 vs. AC; 17 damage, and the target is slowed until the end of its next turn. The devil minions may make opportunity attacks of their own volition, but when one uses an opportunity attack, it counts against your limit of opportunity actions on that turn. (Thus, only one of them may make an opportunity attack on any one turn.)

FALSE FACE --- Level 26 Rare
You change, disguising yourself.
Lvl 26 --- 1,125,000 gp
Divine Boon
Power (Daily):
Minor action. Effect: You change your form into that of a humanoid of any race or sex within two size categories of your own. You can choose your appearance, including impersonating another creature. You gain a +10 bonus on Bluff checks made to impersonate a specific creature. The false face lasts up to 4 hours or until you dismiss it with a free action.

LOYALTY --- Level 26 Rare
When an enemy tries to seize control of you or your allies, the loyalty you feel for each other helps throw off their control.
Lvl 26 --- 1,125,000 gp
Divine Boon
Power (Encounter):
Immediate interrupt. Trigger: A power or effect makes you or an ally within 10 squares take an action you don't wish to take. Effect: The target does not take the triggering action.

MALTAR'S RESILIENCE --- Level 26 Rare
You can sometimes withstand the harshest conditions.
Lvl 26 --- 1,125,000 gp
Divine Boon
Property:
You are immune to poison and to powers with the Charm keyword.
Power (Daily): Minor action. Effect: Make a saving throw with a +5 bonus.

MASTER OF THE ARCANE --- Level 26 Rare
Maltar's power rushes through you, allowing you to perform a ritual with unbelievable speed.
Lvl 26 --- 1,125,000 gp
Divine Boon
Power (Daily):
Standard action. Effect: You perform a ritual of half your level or less, provided its normal casting time is 1 hour or less and its associated skill is Arcana. You may choose to substitute one of your healing surges per tier for the normal ritual components for the ritual, though you must still have any required foci and spend any other costs normally.

MURDEROUS SKILL --- Level 26 Rare
You are deadly when you have the advantage against your foe.
Lvl 26 --- 1,125,000 gp
Divine Boon
Property:
When you have combat advantage, you score a critical hit on an 18-20 and gain a bonus of +2d8 to critical severity.

POISONED MISSILES --- Level 26 Rare
With a gesture, you unleash a volley of poisoned magic missiles.
Lvl 26 --- 1,125,000 gp
Divine Boon
Power (Encounter):
Standard action. Attack: Ranged 20 (one, two or three creatures); Dexterity, Intelligence or Charisma + 10 vs. Reflex. Hit: 2d12 poison damage, and ongoing 15 poison damage (save ends).

SCARLET EYE OF MALTAR --- Level 26 Rare
Your eyes turn scarlet, granting you supernatural powers of perception.
Lvl 26 --- 1,125,000 gp
Divine Boon
Property:
You gain a +3 bonus to Perception checks. In addition, you ignore the effects of concealment, total concealment and invisibility.

SCORN --- Level 26 Rare
Your contempt is more crushing than many hammers.
Lvl 26 --- 1,125,000 gp
Divine Boon
Power (Daily):
Minor action. Effect: Choose one enemy that you can see. That enemy is crushed by your scorn (save ends). While crushed by your scorn, it suffers a -5 penalty to attacks and skill checks and cannot recharge powers.

VANISH --- Level 26 Rare
With a sneer, you vanish just before an attack lands.
Lvl 26 --- 1,125,000 gp
Divine Boon
Power (Encounter):
Immediate interrupt. Trigger: An attack hits you. Effect: You turn invisible until the end of your next turn and shift 3 squares, and the triggering attack misses you.

For the record, Maltar and the Final Phoenix had mutually exclusive goals.

Remove ads