D&D 5E Question about a forest gnome cleric, level 1.

RPGIsAboutLife

Villager
I saw this Forest Gnome Cleric, Trickery Domain, Entertainer background, level 1 (!), with the following stats: STR 14 - DEX 11 - CON 12 - INT 15 - WIS 15 - CHAR 10.

INT gets +2 and DEX gets +1 as it's a gnome, so base INT was 13 and base DEX was 10. But, I don't get the CHAR.

I looked at this using the standard set scores, or, via the 27 points system score. I can't know the results of the "four d6 roll system" as I don't know what system was used, let alone know the results of these rolls... But when using the d6 system, I'm assuming it's still not possible as these systems should even out - or can you make a stronger character when "cheating" via "making an average of 4 d6 rolls having the maximum result of 6-6-6 (highest three dice) - devilish...

I also looked in the PHB, and, only at 4th level, you get the ability score improved (one +2 or two +1) when having a forest gnome cleric trickery domain entertainer background. And nor the gnome nor the cleric nor the trickery domain give the stat CHAR an improvement.

Another "detail" is the base walking speed of 50: I think it should be 25...

I think these are 2 mistakes.

Can someone help me out: confirm my assumption, or, explain me these scores and the base walking speed.

Thank you!

Salthorae

Imperial Mountain Dew Taster
You should ask the relevant DM.

Those stats are 29 point buy before racial adjustments (15,14,13,12,10,10) so they're not crazy off of standard.

No idea on the speed. Gnome can move 50' with a dash action.

RPGIsAboutLife

Villager
Thanks for the fast reply.

DASH: probably that's the case! Dumb of me I didn't thought about that.

29 points: I suppose it's a house rule... As you say, 29 points (calculator). Rules are there to be broken :)

Harzel

Adventurer
Thanks for the fast reply.

DASH: probably that's the case! Dumb of me I didn't thought about that.

29 points: I suppose it's a house rule... As you say, 29 points (calculator). Rules are there to be broken :)

It needn't be the result of a house rule for point buy. It could just as easily be the result of 4d6-drop-lowest. With that rolling method, getting all scores greater than or equal to 10 happens about 31% of the time, so (15,14,13,12,10,10) is a very plausible result.

Also, when you ask us to "confirm my assumption", what assumption exactly are you talking about?

RPGIsAboutLife

Villager
It needn't be the result of a house rule for point buy. It could just as easily be the result of 4d6-drop-lowest. With that rolling method, getting all scores greater than or equal to 10 happens about 31% of the time, so (15,14,13,12,10,10) is a very plausible result.

Indeed, thank you.

Also, when you ask us to "confirm my assumption", what assumption exactly are you talking about?

I meant 'me thinking it's a mistake', but it's possible, so it isn't a mistake.

Thank you for these clarifications, learning on the way!

ccs

41st lv DM
I saw this Forest Gnome Cleric, Trickery Domain, Entertainer background, level 1 (!), with the following stats: STR 14 - DEX 11 - CON 12 - INT 15 - WIS 15 - CHAR 10.

INT gets +2 and DEX gets +1 as it's a gnome, so base INT was 13 and base DEX was 10. But, I don't get the CHAR.

I looked at this using the standard set scores, or, via the 27 points system score. I can't know the results of the "four d6 roll system" as I don't know what system was used, let alone know the results of these rolls... But when using the d6 system, I'm assuming it's still not possible as these systems should even out - or can you make a stronger character when "cheating" via "making an average of 4 d6 rolls having the maximum result of 6-6-6 (highest three dice) - devilish...

I also looked in the PHB, and, only at 4th level, you get the ability score improved (one +2 or two +1) when having a forest gnome cleric trickery domain entertainer background. And nor the gnome nor the cleric nor the trickery domain give the stat CHAR an improvement.

Can someone help me out: confirm my assumption, or, explain me these scores and the base walking speed.

Thank you!

Your assumptions on how those stats were generated are greatly flawed.

1) It was very likely rolled using the 4d6/keep 3 method.
See, despite everyone talking like PB is the default/standard method when discussing things, & being the default for AL, IT"S NOT. Plenty of groups roll their stats.
But for discussion purposes we just think in terms of PB/array since you can't account for what Tymora might provide/deny with rolling when wanting to have meaningless DPR arguments etc.

2) Just because the average is lower, doesn't mean that's the only results you can get by rolling. So, from 4d6/k3: a 15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 10.... (then +2 INT, +1 DEX). Ooh, exciting!(sarcasm) In nearly 40 years of rolled stats, I've seen plenty in this range. So nothing suspicious with that spread via rolling. You can easily get better. You can also very easily get much worse.

My 1st thought was: Why'd the person arrange them like they did?
Wis is obvious - cleric. But the 14 STR instead of either DEX/Con is ??? As is a 10 Cha for an entertainer. But (shrugs) maybe they had something specific in mind.... After all, I have a 9th lv Barbarian with only a 14str. & no plans to ever increase it.
Or maybe they're just inexperienced. Or they rolled them in order & then applied the mods.

RPGIsAboutLife

Villager
Your assumptions on how those stats were generated are greatly flawed.

1) It was very likely rolled using the 4d6/keep 3 method.
See, despite everyone talking like PB is the default/standard method when discussing things, & being the default for AL, IT"S NOT. Plenty of groups roll their stats.
But for discussion purposes we just think in terms of PB/array since you can't account for what Tymora might provide/deny with rolling when wanting to have meaningless DPR arguments etc.

2) Just because the average is lower, doesn't mean that's the only results you can get by rolling. So, from 4d6/k3: a 15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 10.... (then +2 INT, +1 DEX). Ooh, exciting!(sarcasm) In nearly 40 years of rolled stats, I've seen plenty in this range. So nothing suspicious with that spread via rolling. You can easily get better. You can also very easily get much worse.

My 1st thought was: Why'd the person arrange them like they did?
Wis is obvious - cleric. But the 14 STR instead of either DEX/Con is ??? As is a 10 Cha for an entertainer. But (shrugs) maybe they had something specific in mind.... After all, I have a 9th lv Barbarian with only a 14str. & no plans to ever increase it.
Or maybe they're just inexperienced. Or they rolled them in order & then applied the mods.

I blame it on inexperience. Thank you for looking into this question: I did learn some things and I'll share this knowledge with these people, if they are willing to listen of course :)

Salthorae

Imperial Mountain Dew Taster

Err, 4d6 drop the lowest IS the default stat generation method in the PHB.

PHB said:
Roll four 6-sided dice and record the total of the highest three dice on a piece of scratch paper. Do this five more times, so that you have six numbers. If you want to save time or don’t like the idea of randomly determining ability scores, you can use the following scores instead: 15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8.

Point Buy is a variant rule option.

But MANY people play AL only or primarily so for them point-buy/standard array is the only option.

neogod22

Explorer

Thank you!
Seeing how he has no 16s or higher, I'm going to guess he used point buy and made a mistake.

Remove ads