• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Question about building an encounter

nerdronomicon

First Post
okay, i'm pretty sure I have this worked out properly but I haven't run a 4e game yet and i'd like to make sure before i have an unpleasant surprise ending with a TPK my first time out.

according to the encounter difficulty table in chapter 6 of the DMG on page 104, one encounter of level+3 per nine encounters is appropriate.

according to the target encounter XP totals table in chapter 4 of the DMG on page 57, a level four encounter for four PC's should have about 700 XP.

according to the experience point rewards table on page 56 a standard level 8 monster gives 350 XP.

so using all that data, the DMG is telling me that if i'm planning an adventure designed to bring the party to second level, and i'm planning on about nine combat encounters, then it would be okay to pit my four first level pc's against a pair of doppleganger assassins, or cambion hellswords, or gnoll demonic scourges...

so... am i on target? if not what am i doing wrong?

Kordeth

First Post
okay, i'm pretty sure I have this worked out properly but I haven't run a 4e game yet and i'd like to make sure before i have an unpleasant surprise ending with a TPK my first time out.

according to the encounter difficulty table in chapter 6 of the DMG on page 104, one encounter of level+3 per nine encounters is appropriate.

according to the target encounter XP totals table in chapter 4 of the DMG on page 57, a level four encounter for four PC's should have about 700 XP.

according to the experience point rewards table on page 56 a standard level 8 monster gives 350 XP.

so using all that data, the DMG is telling me that if i'm planning an adventure designed to bring the party to second level, and i'm planning on about nine combat encounters, then it would be okay to pit my four first level pc's against a pair of doppleganger assassins, or cambion hellswords, or gnoll demonic scourges...

so... am i on target? if not what am i doing wrong?

Whoa, nelly no.

DMG p. 56 said:
Levels of Individual Threats: Choose threats within two or three levels of the characters’ level.
- Threats in an easy encounter can be as many as four levels below the party’s level.
- Threats in a hard encounter can be as many as three to five levels above the party’s level.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads