• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Question about encounter design in Mutants & Masterminds.

Green Knight

First Post
Namely: How do you do it? Is there any set method other than "eyeballing it"? The encounter set-up in 4E, for instance, is pretty simplistic. A party of five 7th-level character can fight up to 1,500 XP worth of monsters. So they can fight five Level 7 Standard Monsters. Or one Level 5 Solo and and Level 6 Elite. Or three Level 4 Elites, two Level 3 Standard Monsters, and three Level 5 Minions. And so on.

So is there any similar method in Mutants & Masterminds for determining how many PL 8 opponents a party of five PL 10 characters can face? How many PL 6 opponents you can mix with PL 4 opponents to fight that same party? If there is, I'd appreciate it if someone could point me to where I can read about that. Thanks.

Silvercat Moonpaw

Adventurer
It's only going to be guidelines, so don't hold your breathe, but I think it's in the Mastermind's Manual.

I can't remember exactly where because I memorized it:
* Opponents of equal PL can face off 1-to-1.
* For each PL an opponent is above a lower PL opponent they can take on one extra of that lower PL. (I.e. PL 10 character can face off against 3 PL 8 opponents.)

Like I said, it's not going to be exact. But better than nothing.

Elric

First Post
It's only going to be guidelines, so don't hold your breathe, but I think it's in the Mastermind's Manual.

I can't remember exactly where because I memorized it:
* Opponents of equal PL can face off 1-to-1.
* For each PL an opponent is above a lower PL opponent they can take on one extra of that lower PL. (I.e. PL 10 character can face off against 3 PL 8 opponents.)

Like I said, it's not going to be exact. But better than nothing.

This thread over at the atomic thinktank had one guy's personal set of encounter guidelines.

I find this second guideline much better than the one in the Mastermind's Manual, but then again, I contributed to it :)

There's a summary of that thread, and a discussion of other issues that can arise, here

Elric

First Post

I read it over and couldn't see how it was any different. What am I missing?

Besides the attempt to provide different "challenge ratings", the math behind "how many PLs gained= what increase in power" is completely different.

In your above example, one PL 10 character can face off against 3 PL 8 opponents, but in the Atomic Think Tank thread, one PL 10 character is the equivalent of 2 PL 8 characters.

Elric

First Post
Ah, okay.

Though it's funny: I could swear now that the calculations should be the same. Am I remembering the Mastermind's Manual rule wrong?

You're remembering the rule fine. ATT thread's baseline is +2 PLs= doubling of combat power.

The Mastermind's Manual's rule is less transitive. However, when comparing characters one PL apart, +1 PL = doubling of combat power, since 1 PL 10 should be able to take on two PL 9s.

Green Knight

First Post
Ok, so accoring to the Masterminds Manual, a group of four PL10 characters can fight the following encounters?

ENCOUNTER 1
- 1 PL10 opponent
- 2 PL9 opponents
- 3 PL8 opponents
- 6 PL5 opponents

ENCOUNTER 2
- 4 PL 10 opponents

ENCOUNTER 3
- 8 PL9 opponents

ENCOUNTER 4
- 1 PL13 opponent

Sound about right? And thanks for the link. I'll check it out in a bit.

Elric

First Post
ENCOUNTER 2
- 4 PL 10 opponents

ENCOUNTER 3
- 8 PL9 opponents

Yes, according to the Mastermind's Manual these are both reasonable and similar challenges for 4 PL 10 characters. However, I find this to be wrong; Encounter 3 is going to be much harder than Encounter 2.

Remove ads